We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol. https://www.nouryon.com/
Nouryon - has an outstanding opportunity for a Senior Analytics and Control Lead in Houston, TX.
Do you have a passion for chemical engineering, analytics, and control technology and do you want to be a part of our Digital journey and play a crucial part in our global digital plant strategy?
We are looking for a senior engineer with several years of experience in the area of (advanced) process control and a solid background in process systems engineering and analytics.
The Lead Advanced Control & Analytics Engineer is a key member of the Digital Plant Team within Digital’s Engineering team. He/she provides leadership, technical support, and drives scale-up of the APC and optimization opportunities in the Americas Region.
The Senior Advanced Control & Analytics Engineer has a functional working knowledge of all relevant control related site system, process control theory, and operational excellence processes at chemical manufacturing sites. The Senior Advanced Control & Analytics Engineer combines practical and theoretical knowledge of the process, process control, modern optimization software and systems to drive implementation of optimization opportunities by working with the various stake holders.
The Lead Advanced Control & Analytics Engineer reports to the Digital Plant Manager.
Set and drive relevant ambition and strategy for Nouryon Digital/Smart plant
- Justify and drive a Digital Plant/Industry 4.0 concept at regional level (Americas)
- Enable and deliver productivity gains using Digital Plant concept(s)
- Ensure scalability and industrialization through standardization and modularization
- Application of and contribution to best practice methodology and use of technology for the Americas and globally
- Benchmark and follow up business benefits in area of responsibility
- Ensure efficient knowledge transfer between the different functional areas across region and support global team with new insights
Through innovation and collaboration:
- Support Nouryon to become the most competitive supplier in the industries where we operate
- Enable company level potential through applied technology in the field of Industry 4.0 and Smart Plant concepts, by bridging gaps between current automation/digital technologies with the new, driven by business viability per region and segment
- Introduce, prove and embed the use of machine learning, AI, and advanced process control by fit for purpose assessment(s) and guidance for the regional assets
- Enable and leverage regional Asset Strategy and Operational Excellence from a process automation point of view.
- Enable foundation for an integrated and manageable OT landscape across company by a feasible robust set of company standards, instructions and guidelines
- Enable strengthened organizational capabilities by:
- Transfer and application of process automation strategies, standards and processes in the Americas
- Capturing value over longer time through full life cycle accountability in the region
- Leveraging and developing relevant e.g. data science, machine learning team/skills within the digital plant concept and for the benefit of regional initiatives
- Participate in capability building at company level around digital/smart plant
- Provide and enable digital plant concepts that reduces company dependency on demographics and other impacting mega trends in the region
- Enable leverage of strategic partnership with ICS vendors for the benefit of long-term success for APC and analytics program
Key Objectives/Principal Accountabilities
Digital/Automation Technology is a strategic enabler for the company to drive Operational Excellence and Continuous Improvement towards a more autonomous and agile integrated supply chain with the Americas being a key focus region.
- Support Operational Excellence with digital/smart plant concept standardized across the region, create foundation for an integrated OT landscape across company.
- Enable strengthened organizational capabilities by:
- Increased use of technology for autonomy in manufacturing
- Reduced technological and geographical dependencies through consistent and global smart plant solutions, structures and support.
- Through integrated automation/digital technologies increase agility and decrease productivity losses
- Provide and enable digital/automation technology solutions that reduces regional dependency on demographics and other impacting mega trends.
- Reduced materials consumption
- Increased throughput
- Improved consistency in quality
- Improved scheduling of activities on the shop floor
- Decision robots/workflows
- Support strategic partnership with suppliers and customers by improving cost efficiency and service levels through integrated monitoring and information exchange
- Manage regional team best practice wrt industry benchmarks – enable agile ways of working towards rapid deployment and scale-up.
- Set-up, lead, manage, develop regional Americas APC team and activities
- Work closely with regional ISC leaders in creating a process-centered culture, aligned with regional initiatives. Train, coach and mentor regional ISC/Engineering community
- Provide leadership to ensure results and benefits are tracked and communicated.
- Demonstrate and reinforce the company values and key organizational behaviors.
- University or Master of Science in (chemical) engineering with a strong background in (advanced) process control/automation/analytics or equivalent. PhD in chemical engineering with process systems engineering focus is an asset.
- Process control – Sound understanding of base layer and advanced process control and the impact of control system structure and status on the behavior of process units.
- At least five years’ experience in process control with frequent manufacturing site exposure.
- Technical computing – Programming in a real time environment, familiarity with data transfer protocols (e.g., OPC), understanding of IT/OT systems and interfaces in cloud architectures is an advantage.
- Documented experience of leading (project) teams in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience from working with external parties in the space of process control and analytics.
- Chemical manufacturing economics – Ability to determine economic objectives for a process unit and develop business cases for APC and optimization projects.
- Strong project management experience combining agile ways of working with classical waterfall driven site processes
- Proven strategic and program management skills.
- Change management: managing improvement programs at a regional scale and with diverse teams as well as the cultural aspects of the change to be delivered.
- Excellent communicator, both in communication with specialists and with main stakeholders
- Very good in writing and speaking English.
- Stress resistance, flexible, problem solving attitude
- Seen by others as credible, trustworthy, and open to new ideas