APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
DIVISION: GREENSPACE MANAGEMENT
SECTION: GROUNDS MAINTENANCE
WORKDAYS & HOURS: MON. - FRI.: 6:30 A.M. – 3:30 P.M.*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Parks and Recreation Department is dedicated to building a sustainable community and enhancing the quality of urban life by providing safe well-maintained parks and offering affordable programming for our community. To achieve this mission, HPARD seeks a Semi-Skilled Laborer to join its Greenspace Management team. The potential candidate will play a key role in:
- Performing a variety of routine tasks related to ground maintenance operations, including but not limited to, custodian work, litter collection, mowing, trimming, pruning, and planting.
- Operating and maintaining various pieces of equipment such as riding mowing units, lawnmowers, edgers, chainsaws, and Roto-Tiller.
- Performing work routine as a member of a crew, or individually as necessary to meet work requirements.
- Reporting problems and/or hazardous conditions to designated authorities.
- Performing work prepping special events, training, and other park activities.
- May oversee crews of probationers and temporary employees. Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position is designated among essential personnel under the City's Emergency Management Policy.
This position requires extensive, near-continuous physical exertion such as repeated lifting of very heavy objects (more than 80 pounds), deep bending, climbing steps and/or assuming awkward positions. There are routine exposures to extreme weather conditions such as heat/cold, moisture and air pollution. Periodic exposure to chemical substances and physical trauma of a minor nature such as cuts, bruises and minor burns.