At Houston Methodist, the Security Officer position is responsible formaintaining a safe and secure environment for patients, staff and visitors by patrolling and monitoring hospital premises and personnel. This position provides assistance with personal protection, traffic control and emergency response services. The Security Officer position may employ Houston Methodist-approved defensive tactics to ensure patient, staff and visitor safety.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports byenabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
Displays cultural humility, diversity, equity and inclusion principles
Actively supports the organization vision, fulfills the mission and abides by the I CARE values
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE – 25%
- Maintains high customer satisfaction while providing the highest level of safety and security to patients, visitors, staff and assets. (EF)
- Uses professional telephone etiquette. Communicates effectively with management and coworkers on tasks, processes and procedures. (EF)
- Actively responds to requests for personal security coverage, assistance with directions, information and guidance. (EF)
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity and inclusion principles. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25)%
- Secures premises and personnel by patrolling facilities; monitoring surveillance cameras; monitoring access points permitting entry as needed, which may include morgue area. (EF)
- Responds to all radio dispatches, answers calls and complaints and accurately assesses, responds timely, provides appropriate assistance and makes recommendations as needed for all emergent situations. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Accurately communicates and/or generates and completes reports by recording occurrences, information, observations, surveillance activities and conducting witness interviews. (EF)
- Responds immediately to all emergency codes and takes appropriate action. (EF)
- Maintains a safe environment, following all policies and procedures for safety, hazardous material, emergency preparedness and HIPAA. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Prevents loss and damage by reporting irregularities, informing violators of policy and procedures. (EF)
- Utilizes and maintains HM and department equipment according to manufacturer specifications. (EF)
- Utilizes resources with cost effectiveness and value creation in mind. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, assisting coworkers as needed. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 10%
- Implements actions that promote workplace safety culture and proactively prevents workplace violence. (EF)
- Supports hospital and department goals and offers innovative solutions through participation in department projects. Assumes responsibility for self-growth and development by participating in in-services programs and continuing education. Ensures
- own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Criminal justice, security or related experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Private Security Registration non-commissioned Security Officer – submission of application within 14 days of hire date, and obtained within one year of employment or Commissioned Level 3 or Commissioned Personal Protection Officer Level 4 licensure
o International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS) Basic, Advanced or Supervisor Level Certification within 90 days of hire NOTE: Current Houston Methodist employees have until June 17, 2022 to obtain IAHSS Basic, Advanced or Supervisor level Certification
o Valid Texas Driver's License, or must obtain Texas Driver’s license within 90 days of hire
o Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (CPI) Certification within 60 days of hire
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Must have the ability to multi task and function calmly in stressful situations
o Must possess strong customer service skills
o Proficient computer skills including, but not limited to, knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Webmail
o Knowledgeable of all Public Safety Policies and Procedures
o Understand HIPAA and Patient confidentiality compliance
o Demonstrates emergency preparedness knowledge
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital tied for No. 4 in Houston and No. 6 (three-way tie) in Texas in U.S. News & World Report’s best hospital rankings in 2020. With 316 operating beds, 24 operating rooms and over 2,400 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.