Under general supervision provides specialized safety support and consultation on METRO operating and administrative department and performs on-site monitoring of contractors safety performance on METRO’s construction projects. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Assists the manager and staff with the implementation and auditing of safety and loss control programs to control risk and losses related to construction projects, industrial and occupational exposures.
- Conducts general safety inspections at METRO facilities to ensure compliance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Actively involved in construction safety including system expansions, rail expansion project, road improvements and public facility upgrades.
- Provides safety training to METRO employees including CPR/AED, blood borne pathogen, HAZCOM, PPE, forklift, environmental, fall protection, etc.
- Provides safety orientation to all new employees.
- Maintains contracts with outside vendors to provide industrial hygiene and other selected services to METRO on an as-needed basis.
- Prepares incident reports and communicates investigations to management and documents corrective actions.
- Controls and approves the entry and usage of hazardous chemicals in the workplace by assessing toxicological data provided on Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Serves as an active participant on various internal and external committees and groups to promote safety and environmental awareness focusing on existing operations.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Environmental Health or related field preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum four (4) years’ experience in the area of industrial or construction safety or environmental compliance.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Current working knowledge of applicable local, state and federal regulations including fire code is required. Knowledge of OSHA regulations as applied to construction contractors required. Strong PC skills with emphasis on safety database systems. Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills and good interpersonal skills. Professional certifications; Certified Safety and Health Official (CSHO), certification from an authorized OSHA Training Institute or an Occupational Health and Safety Technician (OHST) certification from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals are preferred.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.