Responsible for delivery of METRO’s transit safety education message to schools, faith-based organizations, community groups and a variety of other stakeholders. Coordinates and schedules safety presentations and activities to promote safety on and around all modes of public transit. Provides Transit Safety Education information to METRO customers. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Interfaces with community leaders, principals, teachers and other stakeholders to schedule and deliver safety education presentations.
- Schedules and conducts safety education tours of METRO trains, buses, headquarters and operating facilities.
- Delivers Operation Lifesaver and METRO (rail and bus) safety education presentations to community groups, schools and youth organizations.
- Liaises with area homeless advocacy groups and shelters to deliver transit safety education.
- Maintains and updates the Transit Safety Education database to include schools, colleges, recreation centers, churches, medical facilities, non-profits, shelters, senior citizen centers and other groups.
- Reviews and assists Media department with developing innovative and creative updates to Transit Safety Education Programs webpage.
- Assists the Manager, Transit Safety Education Programs with developing departmental goals, key performance indicators and innovative delivery methods.
- Collaborates with internal departments and stakeholders to optimize safety education presence and program implementation.
- Partners with first responder organizations and city management districts to promote transit safety education.
- Prepares and submits monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for management review.
- Maintains and tracks promotional collateral inventory.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s degree in Safety or a related field is preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum five (5) years’ progressive experience working in safety or safety training programs. Experience in public speaking is required. Experience in a transit/transportation environment is preferred
Knowledge & Skills Required
Minimum five (5) years’ progressive experience working in safety or safety training programs. Experience in community outreach/engagement and public speaking is required. Experience in a transit/transportation environment is preferred.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.