APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
DIVISION: RECREATION & WELLNESS/COMMUNITY CENTERS
WORKDAYS & HOURS: VARIOUS*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Parks and Recreation Department is dedicated to building a sustainable community and enhancing the quality of urban life by providing safe well-maintained parks and offering affordable programming for our community. To achieve this mission, HPARD is seeking a Recreation Supervisor to join its Recreation & Wellness Team. The potential candidate will play a key role in the following duties:
- Plan, develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate core recreation services and programs at recreation facility centers for youth, teens, adults and senior populations.
- Provide quality recreation programs that meet the needs of the public as well as the long- and short-term goals of the department.
- Ensure that all youth recreation programs adhere to the Standards of Care Ordinance.
- Interface with the public providing guidance and interpretation concerning program information, answers phones and responds to telephone inquiries.
- Submit and maintain accurate and timely reports using various software programs.
- Properly orient new employees by providing thorough job instruction/training.
- In-service training to current employees.
- Monitor and oversee the After-School and Summer Enrichment Programs for youth ages 6-13 and comply with our Standards of Care Guidelines.
- Supervise and train staff on office procedures such as logbooks, schedules, contracting and scheduling volunteers, contract officials, and league play.
- Supervise and monitor core programs and special events.
- Attend in-house training, retreats and workshops.
- Coach and train staff on Facility and Program procedures while maximizing productivity, safety and customer service.
- Assist the public with planning events and securing permits.
- Respond to inquiries for reservations, rentals/waivers, online registration and timekeeping.
- Monitor and oversee the After-School Enrichment Programs and sporting events for youth ages 6-18 and comply with our Standards of Care Guidelines.
- Assist with in-house events as well as outside events.
- Assist in the production of program manuals for recreation services.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Ensure city resources, facility and inventory are properly used, stored, cleaned and issues reported.
- Must be willing to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position routinely requires lifting of moderately heavy item, such as typewriter or records boxes (up to 40 pounds) and/or very long periods of walking on rough surfaces on a routine basis.