Real Estate Counsel
Whitestone REIT is a Houston-based, publicly-traded real estate investment trust (NYSE: WSR) that acquires, owns, leases, and manages a quality portfolio of properties that offer significant growth potential meeting the daily necessities of fast-growing communities. Whitestone’s proven and differentiated approach of (i) focusing on service-oriented tenants that support the communities located immediately adjacent to its properties and (ii) building the optimal mix of these tenants providing convenience and high-demand services within each center reduces risk and generates superior financial results for both customers and Whitestone investors.
Whitestone REIT is seeking a Real Estate Counsel to support the day-to-day real estate legal needs of the Company. The position is located in Houston, Texas. The position will report to the Company’s General Counsel and is responsible for managing legal-related matters involving Company real estate, providing strategic legal advice, and supporting the leasing, property management, and acquisition/asset management teams.
Elements of the Position:
- Negotiating and reviewing tenant leases, assignments, and amendments;
- Working with members of the leasing, property management, and accounting teams in connection with real property issues (including periodic training of business people on real estate legal concepts/terms and regular review and updating of legal form documents);
- Preparing and responding to tenant correspondence and managing tenant default actions;
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating purchase/sale contracts and closing documents for the purchase and sale of commercial real estate (including transaction financing);
- Performing and reviewing due diligence on real property acquisitions and dispositions;
- Providing litigation support on matters and disputes involving company real estate;
- Monitoring deal flow and balancing priorities to make sure projects are handled on time and according to Company policies.
Required Skills and Education:
- JD degree from an ABA-accredited law school;
- Membership in good standing with the Texas bar;
- Minimum 4 years of legal experience that includes practice at a law firm and/or in-house;
- Thorough knowledge of commercial real estate law, particularly from the landlord side;
- Experience directly negotiating retail leases, lease amendments and related documents;
- Experience directly negotiating contracts for purchase and sale of commercial real estate;
- Familiarity with and experience performing due diligence review and transaction closings in connection with real estate acquisitions and dispositions;
- Successful candidate needs to be an adept advisor and able to work within a team.