LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.
LyondellBasell is seeking a Researcher/Scientist to join our R&D Analytical team at the Houston Technology Center (HTC) located in Channelview, TX. HTC functions as the Research and Development (R&D) Center for Lyondell Chemical Company's Intermediates and Derivatives (I&D) and Olefins Businesses. R&D work at HTC focuses on improving catalyst and process technologies and the center also provides technical support to our manufacturing and business organizations. As a member of the team reporting to the HTC Analytical Manager you will support HTC in reaching our objectives and annual goals.
Utilize a variety of elemental analysis and other techniques to solve problems related to improving catalyst and process technologies and technical support for our manufacturing and business organizations. Plan, design and execute method development and implementation programs to reach business objectives.
Serve as technical resource, maintain high-standards, positive attitude, good work ethics and train lab technicians and/or specialists. Serve on multidisciplinary teams supporting research efforts by solving complex problems. Participate in internal Expert Groups to leverage best practices, keep up-to-date with advances in the field of petrochemical elemental analysis, and introduce new analytical technologies, including new instrument evaluations and recommendations.
Ensure safe and efficient laboratory operations, overseeing the necessary calibrations, maintenance of the laboratory equipment, safe handling of all chemicals and assisting with testing as needed. Ensure alignment of analytical testing, communication with management and customers while understanding priorities with business requirements.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Utilize analytical knowledge to innovate and solve problems related to organic chemical research and process development, specifically in the area of elemental analysis.
- Provide technical leadership in the areas of ICP, XRF, XRD and SEM/EDS analysis applied to petrochemicals, commodity chemicals, and catalysts.
- Plan, design and execute method development and implementation programs to reach business objectives with the highest attention to safety.
- Directing the work of 1-2 lab technicians and/or specialists in conducting routine and non-routine sample analyses.
- Maintain equipment in good operating condition and develop capital plans to replace or upgrade the equipment.
- Ensure that all lab procedures are well-documented and communicated
- Remain current on analytical advances in order to introduce new analytical technologies
- Participate in internal expert groups to leverage best practices.
- Maintain regular communications with management to ensure alignment with R&D objectives.
- Perform other duties as required
Education: PhD in Chemistry or related discipline.
- Advanced application knowledge of ICP/OES/MS and XRF spectroscopy with experience in organic sample analysis and preparation techniques is required. Experience with AA, XRD and SEM/EDS is highly desired.
- Demonstrated technical expertise through journal articles, reports, presentations, posters, and/or patents.
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills and innovation.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently to develop and implement new Analytical methods.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities while meeting critical deadlines
- Strong team player.
- Compliance with all safety standards, practices, and requirements
An employee working in this job will be expected to sit and stand 90% of their 8-hour shift. The employee does have the ability to take breaks as needed and will be required to stand, sit, squat, stop, and/or kneel for various administrative tasks. Should be able to lift or move 50 lbs.
CompetenciesBuilds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston