Applications Accepted From: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Posting Number: 26809
Division: Public Health Infrastructure
Section: Office of Chronic Disease, Health Education and Wellness
Reporting Location: 8000 N. Stadium Dr.
Workdays & Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Health Department seeks a dynamic candidate that will function as a health educator within the Office of Chronic Disease, Health Education and Wellness’ DAWN Center to perform the following duties.
- Conduct diabetes and chronic disease health education and health promotion programming including providing specialized health information for people with diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Apply appropriate behavioral theories and evidence-based models to plan, organize, implement and evaluate diabetes and chronic disease focused health education and health promotion programming in diabetes centers and in community-based settings.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with internal staff, community-based and private sector organizations to coordinate and perform diabetes focused health education and health promotion activities.
- Develop and interpret culturally and linguistically appropriate content for health education materials, visual aids, presentations, interactive demonstrations for one-on-one, group classes and social media settings. Content include but is not limited to Diabetes Prevention, Diabetes Self-Management, Hypertension Prevention and Management, nutrition, tobacco use prevention and cessation, stress management and lifestyle modification.
- Perform evaluation activities including but not limited to applying and adapting appropriate data collection instruments, collecting and managing data, preparing reports and participating in quality assurance and quality improvement activities.
- Utilize various inter-disciplinary, communication and marketing techniques to promote and disseminate actionable health and wellness information and advocate for health equity.
The position requires stooping, bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams of paper or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required.