*This position can be filled in The Woodlands, TX or New Orleans, LA*
Develops, advocates for, and advances Entergy’s Point of View on evolving and emerging technologies related to power generation. Develops roadmaps and projects to advance promising technologies. For projects that are selected for further development and/or execution, incumbent acts as liaison between the project management team and technical disciplines involved with projects and is the primary point of contact for the management and coordination of all technical aspects of projects. Ensures that engineering is complete, accurate and constructible for all elements of a project's scope. Oversees contractor's engineering performance and coordinates all contractor and owner's engineering interfaces in addition to ensuring projects are completed according to project construction drawings and in accordance with project specifications, quality and performance requirements.
- Leads discussion with business unit leadership and technical personnel to identify industry technologies and risks that have the greatest potential impact to Entergy’s ability to execute its mission and strategic imperatives. Partners with business unit leadership to facilitate adoption of new technologies that further Entergy’s ability to achieve its mission and strategic imperatives by developing implementation plans, budget estimates, schedules, risk analyses, and resource requirements.
- Engages business unit leadership to identify and promote a greater understanding of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats posed by emerging technologies and industry risks.
- Develops and proposes plans of engagement with industry participants, including universities, industry groups, OEMs, and utility peers that promote Entergy’s ability to proactively leverage emerging technologies and to mitigate key industry risks.
- Develops and maintains Entergy’s point of view (POV) on emerging generation industry technologies such as evolutions in decarbonization technologies, including battery energy storage systems, solar, wind, hydrogen, flue gas desulfurization, and Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS).
- Develops roadmaps and pilot projects for promising evolving and emerging technologies.
- Develops and maintains Entergy’s POV on key industry risks and issues such battery energy storages system thermal and fire suppression and avian threats.
- Maintains affiliations with universities, industry interest groups, OEMs, and other utilities as required to advance research, development, and understanding of emerging technologies and risks. Ensures maximum value is extracted from funding provided to perform R&D and related industry activities.
- Develops application proposals for Entergy to pursue for Department of Energy Funding Opportunity Announcements and other public and private funding to advance evolving and emerging technologies.
- Manages the owner’s engineer and technical consultants of projects in development or execution
- Manages the review of engineering and design to assure compliance with the contract, permits, codes, and utility design standards and supports the operations and maintenance goals of projects in development and execution
- Participates in contractor/vendor selection process with a specific goal of assessing engineering experience, competencies and capability
- Supports construction and start-up on as needed basis for execution projects
- Coordinates with the project team to ensure that design of execution projects is executed in accordance with codes, specifications, schedules and good engineering practice
- Coordinates reporting and disposition of all RFIs that arise during the execution phase of projects
- Contributes to the development of project deliverables as necessary during each step of the stage gate process
Minimum education required of the position:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent work experience
- Chemical, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineer Degree; Masters' Degree
Minimum experience required of the position:
- 10 years of Engineering experience in Power Generation
- Experience with first-of-a-kind (innovative) projects
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required of the position:
- Knowledge of engineering fundamentals
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology to power generation
- This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design of electrical power generating facilities
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of power generation facilities
- Critical Thinking -- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Complex Problem Solving -- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Knowledge of CCGT, advanced GT, CCS, BESS, H2, Fuel Cells, Wind, and/or Solar technology
Any certificates, licenses, etc. required for the position:
- Professional Engineer license and PMP Certification
Primary Location: Texas-Woodlands
Job Function: Engineering
FLSA Status: Professional
Relocation Option: Level II
Union description/code: NON BARGAINING UNIT-NBU
Number of Openings: 1
Req ID: 102661
Travel Percentage:Up to 25%
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. Please click here to view the full statement.
As a provider of essential services, Entergy expects its employees to be available to work additional hours, to work in alternate locations, and/or to perform additional duties in connection with storms, outages, emergencies, or other situations as deemed necessary by the company. Exempt employees may not be paid overtime associated with such duties.
Please note: Authorization to work in the United States is a precondition to employment in this position. Entergy will not sponsor candidates for work visas for this position.