Project Engineer (PEI Manager)
Client facility in Deer Park, Texas
The purpose of this role is to provide engineering support and leadership for safe and efficient operations of Heat Transfer Equipment at Deer Park, fired and unfired, including Furnaces, Boilers, Air Preheaters, Flares, Air Coolers, Plate & Frame Exchangers, and Shell & Tube Exchangers. The role will work with Production, Engineering, Process, and Pressure Equipment to ensure we continually meet the requirements for Heat Transfer equipment at the site. This position requires a strong ability to handle multiple projects and activities simultaneously with varying scope and content.
- This role directly supports Projects, Turnarounds and Operations.
- The heat transfer engineer is involved in renewal and growth projects regarding fired and unfired equipment, which can impact environmental, reliability and margin. Projects range from $250k to $1mlm and up.
- In the Heat Transfer function, the engineer may have to consult with other disciplines (i.e. Control Systems, Operations, Process Engineering, Environmental, Pressure Equipment, Maintenance, and various outside Contractors).
- The role is expected to actively participate in the planning of departmental activities, the development and execution of departmental goals, and the development, review and updating of departmental policies and procedures.
- Developing and implementing the Heat Transfer Strategy for fired and unfired equipment for Deer Park.
- Engineering Focal Point for fired and unfired Heat Transfer questions and issues.
- Site wide focal point for reliability, safety and availability issues related to heat transfer equipment.
- Developing requirements for correction of deficiencies on Heat Transfer equipment
- Coordinating refinery wide issues related to fired and unfired equipment, including safety, reliability and compliance, operational excellence and emissions to air
- Supporting projects dealing with fired equipment and safeguards therein the proper implementation of internal and industry standards.
- Defining KPIs for efficiency of fired and unfired equipment. Supporting and guiding operations in measures to improve efficiency.
- Troubleshooting, de-bottlenecking and providing technical support for un-fired equipment in operating plants, covering Shell & Tube heat exchangers, Plate & Frame heat exchangers, air coolers and insulation.
- Interpreting operating data around fired and unfired equipment as it relates to heat transfer.
- Preparing or overseeing contractors preparation of heat exchanger design sheets for purchase of new exchangers or revamp of existing (thermal, hydraulic, and mechanical).
- Providing training and mentoring Operations and other disciplines at the site around Heat Transfer.
- Providing Technical Assurance for projects within the Heat Transfer discipline.
- Expected to own and drive resolution to equipment threats related to heat transfer equipment for each production team.
- Assisting with the inspection of Heat Transfer Equipment (Fired and Unfired) inspections during turnarounds.
- Providing operational support during start-up, trouble-shooting and incident & near miss investigation.
- Running reviews on Heat Transfer Equipment (fired and unfired) performance to identify deficiencies / bad actors.
- Supporting the Pressure Equipment Engineers and Corrosion/Material Engineers to determine creep and tube life calculations based on heater Thermography and thermocouple data and communicating findings to the Production Team.
- Recommending instrumentation/analyzer upgrades basis current standards and specific Heat transfer threats.
- Participating in T/A work scope optimization workshop and assist in risk ranking fired and unfired heat transfer items. Working with the RCM (reliability centered maintenance), T/A planner and unit inspectors to create an accurate scope of work for heat transfer equipment repairs to be completed during T/A.
- Participate in site T/As to follow repairs and projects for heat transfer scope, i.e. new burners for furnaces.
- Participating in the preparation of any inspection plans for heat transfer equipment.
- Participating in any proposed design changes for heat transfer equipment.
- Provide/approves guidance and direction as pertains to Heat Transfer adjustments.
- Approves deferrals to Heat Transfer schedules.
- Approves fabrication specifications on new Heat Transfer Equipment.
- Assist Operations in development of ESP (Ensure Safe Production) operating variables on Furnaces/Flares as it pertains to combustion.
- Heat Transfer Engineer will provide backup for Infrared Thermography related to abnormal situations as needed vice the Site Fired Equipment Specialist.
- Provide oversight on new projects to assure appropriate combustion equipment. Consulting and teaching on combustion issues within the Production organization and technical community.
- Communicate applicable Industry Heater LFIs w/ Site and develop implementation plan to close gaps.
- Expected to mentor to early career engineers and interns.
- This position requires a strong ability to handle multiple projects and activities simultaneously with varying scope and content.
- At least 5 years of experience working in Refining or Chemical Operations and/or EPC.
- Knowledge and skill of Heat Transfer and Fired Equipment standards.
- Experience in Project Development.
- Strong Process Safety Background.
- Routinely demonstrates leadership skills beyond their immediate area.
- Strong organizational and communication skills (written & verbal).
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with people at all levels in the organization.
- Expected to step out in a leadership fashion to take on tough issues or deliver difficult news.
- Possess a good balance of analytical staff skills and field knowledge
- Ability to set priorities and make decisions.
- Thorough knowledge in API, NFPA, Company Specifications, Regulatory requirements, and ASME Code. Understand material degradation.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
CDI Corporation is an EEO/An Affirmative Action M/F/D/V Employer.