Brief Team and Position Summary
DNV GL's - Oil and Gas North America is seeking a Principal Engineer to work in the Hydraulics and Flow Assurance group in the Pipeline Services Department. This team of engineering consultants specializes in hydraulic and flow assurance modeling including: Single phase steady state and transient hydraulics analysis (Synergi Pipeline Simulator) and, to a lesser extent, multiphase thermal and hydraulic steady state and transient analysis.
The Principal Engineer will be responsible for the initiation, development, and completion of the hydraulics and flow assurance studies for DNV GL clients. The position is based in the Houston (Katy) office.
This position reports to the Head of Section in Hydraulic & Flow Assurance Management.
Tasks May Include
- Carry out Hydraulics & Flow Assurance studies using software packages, e.g., OLGA, PIPESIM, PIPEPHASE, SPS, etc.
- Compiling data received from pipeline operators and determining the appropriate methodologies and calculations to solve issue at hand.
- Audit and review existing pipeline facilities to identify improvement opportunities, potential problems, and remedies to existing problems
- Working effectively and efficiently within a group of engineers and consultants, reviewing, and verifying each other’s work.
- Business development with new and existing customers resulting in project opportunities for self and team members.
- Develop a leadership role within the group as well as the industry.
- Documenting analyses and processes and procedures in a technical format to clearly deliver results and the implications of those results to the pipeline operator.
- Lead a group of engineers through project management.
- Interact with other team members and clients in a manner that is professional and promotes collaboration.
- Writing of technical papers or presentations of innovative work or projects.
- Attending technical seminars to increase understanding of the pipeline industry and new technologies as well as to develop projects
- Train and mentor senior engineers, junior engineers and coop students
- B.S. or higher in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience within field of pipeline hydraulics and transient simulations
- Extensive expertise in single and multiphase pipelines hydraulic simulation.
- Steady state and transient hydraulic analyses using industry standard software specifically SPS (Synergi Pipeline Simulator)
- Specific expertise in surge analysis of liquid lines and designing of surge mitigation. Required
- Advanced skill level in Microsoft Excel and Word, strong technical writing skills.
- Microsoft Powerpoint, macro and VBA programming experience preferred
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking, ability to pick up technical concepts quickly.
- Operational experience is a plus.
- Ability to speak with a wide variety of industry clients for the purpose of communicating DNV GL services and capabilities
- Attention to detail, internally driven/motivated, hard-working, strong social skills, professional presence, often takes the initiative independent of direct instruction
- Ability to work on a team effectively and efficiently, but also be able to show effectiveness when working individually.
- Ability to handle fast pace, high demand environments with strong stress management skills
- Actively seeks opportunities to help team members with demanding project schedules and expectations
- Must be willing to travel up to 25% (Domestic and International)
- Must have a valid drivers licence.
- We conduct a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
- Offshore pipeline hydraulics,
- Gas pipeline hydraulics,
- Multiphase pipeline hydraulics,
- Online pipeline modelling,
- Simulation-based leak detection,
- CFD simulation experience in flow assurance applications
Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are not available for this position.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see:http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Local employment conditions apply.
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL is the technical advisor to the oil and gas industry. We bring a broader view to complex business and technology risks in global and local markets. Providing a neutral ground for industry cooperation, we create and share knowledge with our customers, setting standards for technology development and implementation. From project initiation to decommissioning, our independent experts enable companies to make the right choices for a safer, smarter and greener future.