Requisition ID: 125485
Job Level: Internship
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
We are looking to hire students pursuing a degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering with a Power Delivery focus! These interns will assist with performing engineering and design duties, which require the application of engineering principles and knowledge of substation design.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
- Gas-fired generation
- Power delivery
- Environmental retrofits
- Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of Houston, TX.
• Work with project team to create all design documents and drawings for a project, including creating wiring diagrams from schematics, generating bills of materials, and applying field mark-ups of project as-built drawings with minimal supervision
• Assist with engineering support tasks such as relay burden, lighting, load flow, and short circuit calculations with minimal supervision
• Assist with the usage of engineering application software to complete engineering tasks such as ground grid design, relay coordination, transformer sizing, and load flow and short circuit studies with minimal supervision
• Review project schedules and work with project engineer to ensure projects remain on schedule
• Properly use the document management system
• Apply corporate standard engineering practices
• Assist with project activities
• Assist with the with the communication and coordination of project activities with project engineer, customer representatives, and others as needed
• Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
• Bring potential project-related problems and possible solutions to the attention of the responsible party
• Pursuing a Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or a related field from an accredited university, with a power background preferred
• Basic knowledge and understanding of:
- AC/DC fundamentals
- three phase power systems
- per-unit mathematics and symmetrical components
- substation components and their functions
- design documents and drawings necessary to complete a project
- engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- common Word processing, Spreadsheet, and E-mail software
• Working in a team environment
• Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.