The Project Specialist is responsible for the collection, evaluation and analysis of crime and performance related data. Conducts tactical, strategic and administrative security analysis to collect, analyze and evaluate crime data, developing trends, patterns and changes in criminal activity. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Formulates strategic and tactical analyzes of offense/incident reports related to activity on the system. Identify crime patterns, series, and trends using qualitative, temporal, and geographic measures and statistical methods.
- Applies principles of logic to define problems, develop and test hypotheses, establish facts and draw valid conclusions, formulate strategies and make practical recommendations.
- Uses integrated relational computer systems to create, access, and track database files to prepare statistical charts, graphs and exhibits to measure criminal activity, Department leakage and performance.
- Prepares the monthly Crime and Performance Statistics (CAPS) analysis report for Police Command staff to make informed resource decisions to determine where police and safety presence needs to be increased or decreased.
- Maintains Leakage and Performance tracking system for METRO Police. Adjust system as needed to meet organizational changes. Supports supervisors with system related issues.
- Prepares written and oral presentations, using charts and graphs to inform METRO Police department of emerging or existing crime series, patterns and trends as well as suspect and victim profiles.
- Responds to Command Staff and Open Records requests for various information, analysis and statistical reports. Conducts specialized research and analysis of crimes and related data to meet requests.
- Exchanges data on criminal activity and collaborate with other Law Enforcement agencies in order to study and analyze past and existing crime series, patterns and trends
- Maintains and uses computer applications in order to gather, categorize and analyze crime data, as well as assist in the dissemination of information pertinent to law enforcement.
- Interacts and communicates with police personnel and other METRO employees, on safety and crime analysis and research issues.
- Performs data entry projects under the supervision of the Supervisor, Police Information Services.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school or GED required. Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice Police Administration or related field preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum Five (5) years’ experience in statistical analysis to include investigative, analytical, statistical and/or management analysis experience. Preferably in a Law Enforcement environment.
Knowledge & Skills Required
A high level of proficiency in the use of computer/software systems (MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word) for statistical analysis work. Able to maintain confidentiality of information. Ability to multi-task performing job duties while remaining organized. Meet expectations in a timely manner in view of deadlines. Ability to work independently without regular supervision at times.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.