Responsible for managing the development and monitoring of capital and operating budgets and expenditures for Planning, Engineering and Construction Department (PEC). Manages contract expenditures thru SAP/SRM system. Provides analytical and technical budget support to the PE&C department. Overseeing the coordination, preparation and monitoring of the annual operating and capital budgets for dept. projects. Coordinates and/or develops reports and budget information for senior management/Board (monthly business report, information for quarterly budget meetings, etc.) ensuring work is of top quality both in accuracy and presentation. Communicates and provides financial information to Program Managers for project planning. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Manages the development and monitoring of the capital and operating budgets and expenditures
- Manages contract expenditures thru the SAP/SRM system
- Coordinates with Project Directors and Project Managers to develop and monitor both Capital and Operating budgets and costs
- Analyzes problems and the impact to the Capital Budgets. Recommends alternative solutions.
- Provides technical assistance for cost analysis, fiscal allocation, budget preparation and financial forecasting.
- Provides monthly, quarterly and yearly budgetary presentation and documentation to ensure financial information has been recorded accurately.
- Develops QMR (Quarterly Management Report) and presents the Operating Budget at the QMR meetings for the department.
- Completes various reports including summary reports for upper management.
- Assists Project Managers and other staff in the development and monitoring of budgets and expenditures.
- Creates all budget changes and transfers via budget change requests and journal entries.
- Administers PE&C's procurement process, reviews procurement and expenditure requests for budget compliance.
- Prepares/Oversees spending authorizations for review by management via the creation and monitoring of the Shopping Carts and Change Order request in SAP/SRM. Provides financial recommendations for the approval or disapproval of funds requests.
- Reviews and monitors expenditures associated with contractual agreements within the program as well as expenditures associated with the design and construction.
- Coordinates with the Project Manager and Contract Administrator on the issuance of change orders in accordance with the negotiated project costs and assists in monitoring of contract.
- Ensures the department's financial information is accurate and correctly entered into METRO's budget system.
- Coordinates with various divisions within PE&C to gather data and produce reports.
- As needed, develops miscellaneous budget and cost analyses at the detail, intermediate and summary levels.
- Responsible for year-end accruals and the accurate processing of payments and accrual reversal.
- Establishes working and historical files of the division's operating budget, audits and expense reconciliation.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Public Administration or related field preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience the areas of budget, forecasting, statistical analysis and cost control to include report development.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Must have strong computer skills, proficient in heavy data computation, technical and analytical capabilities. Excellent communications (written and verbal) and organizational and interpersonal skills are required. Proficiency in Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) including related software; budget systems.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.