At Houston Methodist, the Community Patient Access Representative will dual report to the Office of Community Benefits and the Office of Graduate Medical Education to support patient referrals into Houston Methodist Hospital via the Community Scholars Program. The Community Scholars Program, through the support of medical residents and fellows, provides specialty care services for underserved patients that have a medical home within designated Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) and free clinics in the Greater Houston Area.
The position is responsible for assuring that patients referred via the Community Scholars Program are scheduled to receive services in their assigned location and are financially cleared prior to their scheduled appointment through accurate and timely scheduling, registration and verification of program eligibility. This position assists management with ongoing observations and notifications of opportunities while providing innovative suggestions for process improvement. This position also assists management with auditing/quality review to ensure accurate and appropriate scheduling, registration and billing. Additional responsibilities include providing excellent customer service when communicating with patients and stakeholders associated with the program and providing notification to patients, physicians, community clinics and management of issues that may result in potential service delays. This position will also assist with appointment scheduling for underserved patients via the Community Network of Care program which focused on helping indigent patients with accessing primary care appointments within local FQHCs and free clinics.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30%
- Demonstrates ability to use critical thinking skills and healthcare knowledge to manage through primary care and specialty care scheduling processes. Utilizes independent judgement to accommodate special requests from internal and external customers as indicated. (EF)
- Serves as the front door of the Community Scholars Program and the Physician Organization interacting with new and established patients providing them with information needed to schedule and register multiple services for the Physician Organization. Utilizes computerized scheduling/registration systems, verification systems, and online applications while balancing departmental resources. Obtains required data in order to support departmental and hospital clinical/financial needs. (EF)
- Triages calls for the Community Scholars Program as appropriate to other areas as received on a daily basis while working under the guidelines and scripts as set forth by management. Provides patients with information needed to prepare for appointment per service line protocol. Registers patients on the Electronic Medical Records system, EPIC, complying with HIPAA regulations, complying with HIPAA regulations. (EF)
- Triages patient referrals made via the Network of Care program to assist department liaisons with identifying eligible patients for the purpose of scheduling a primary care appointment with community clinics. (EF)
- Keeps open channels of communication with all parties involved, including physician, patient and service areas, regarding action taken and resolution. Promotes a friendly and professional customer service environment.
SERVICE - 30%
- Utilizes courteous and professional telephone and email techniques and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain rapport with patients, physicians/office personnel and various hospital personnel, while maintaining patient confidentiality. Uses department scripting and appointment scheduling policy when scheduling appointments and ensures I CARE values are met while working within the scripting provided. Assists with new referral from E-fax and emails along with specific doctor’s offices calling directly to schedule emergency patients same day or within 24 hours. (EF)
- Coordinates the flow of patient referrals: (EF)
- Collects and compiles data/information from patients and referring community clinics such as insurance documentation and patient identification information to help facilitate an appointment with a providers.
- Screens and assesses patient calls received and assures that the patients are scheduled for services as requested by referring physician.
- Schedules patient appointments.
- Verifies patient benefits for eligibility.
- Efficiently completes registration.
- Answers incoming calls from patients regarding the status of their referrals progress.
- Acts as liaison between the patient, clinic partner and the physician.
- Handles calls from physicians’ offices, always making sure to maintain a good relationship and obtain all necessary documents needed to support the referral process and close out referral process.
- Helps facilitate, coordinate and resolve referral issues with patients by exhibiting and exercising exceptional telephone, verbal, written, exemplary critical thinking and interpersonal communication skills. Provides empathetic patient care by focusing on maintaining friendly, and incredibly dynamic environment.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15%
- Maintains HIPPA Guidelines and provides empathetic patient care by focusing on maintaining I CARE values throughout the interaction. (EF)
- Maintains standard of productivity set by department policy and procedures and meets scheduling goals set by the department (e.g. abandonment rate, productivity per hour, etc.)
- Obtains required data in order to support departmental and hospital clinical/financial needs. (EF)
- Ensures verification and eligibility procedures are followed prior to patient visit. Provides patients with information needed to prepare for appointment per service line and community clinic protocol. Where applicable, registers patients in Epic, complying with HIPAA regulations.
FINANCE - 20%
- Works directly with the revenue cycle team and other departments to ensure the correct information and registration is complete and accurate prior to the patient visiting the clinic. Identifies areas of concern and improvement to better the team and the overall practice in collecting revenue from front end operations being faulty. (EF)
- Obtains and enters accurate scheduling and registration data, including but not limited to: patient demographics, insurance, guarantor and clinical information on the information system in order to initiate financial clearance activities (benefit eligibility and verification, pre-certification notification and payment review). Documents patient’s accounts with information related to any potential issue(s) that could result in service delays or cancellations due to the lack of financial clearance. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
- Answers calls in a timely manner. Works directly with physicians, office staff and patients to ensure best practices within department. Works with manager to improve areas requiring concern as indicated and strives for excellence in the workplace.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
o Three years of experience in healthcare setting/call center operations required
o Healthcare setting knowledge and experience with a strong understanding of medical terminology preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Satisfactory program completion and clinical licensure such as Medical Assistant or Licensed Vocational Nurse preferred