OUTSTANDING COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Base $160K + 20% target bonus
- Company subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance with 2 great plans to choose from
- Flexible Spending Account and/or HSA with company contribution on one plan available
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, and OAD with optional life and AD&D available for employee, spouse, and child
- 401K: Company matches $1.17 to $1.00 on employee contributions up to 6% of pay
- 100% company funded pension account, starting at 7%
- 10 paid holidays and up to 6 weeks paid time off plus paid sick time
- Paid parental leave: 8 weeks for birthing parent, 4 weeks for non-birthing parent
- Adoption Assistance Program, Employee Assistance Program, Educational Reimbursement and college scholarships for children of employees
Role with the Company:
The Partnership Federal Income Tax Compliance group is responsible for federal partnership income tax compliance requirements for the company, principally consisting of a publicly traded master limited partnership. Responsible for the supervision of the production and review of all partnership income tax returns within the MLPs, including all form K-1s. Supervises the partnership compliance team, provides workflow and process management to the income tax return, K-1 processing, and the provision modeling required to provide the federal corporate compliance team all needed data for the corporate tax returns. Responsible for reviewing, analyzing, and ensuring the partnership income tax compliance is performed in accordance with the MLP agreement and the applicable tax law. Partners with other Tax Organization groups and interfaces with Accounting, Financial Planning, Business Development, and Internal Audit, as well as with outside parties including the MLP's financial audit and MLP tax service teams. Creates a team environment and assists in training and mentoring staff and senior analysts.
- Possesses detailed Internal Revenue Code Subchapter K knowledge needed to identify specific processes and procedures needed to comply with all relative tax laws and regulations. Interfaces with Partnership Technical tax consultant to verify compliance with applicable federal partnership tax law.
- Works directly with partnership K-1 systems service provider to ensure K-1 processing system calculates MLPs K-1 investors' information correctly. Oversees timely K-1 processing with direction of Partnership Income Tax Manager, ensuring IRS tax package is issued in accordance with tax laws and regulatory guidance in effect.
- Working with Partnership Income Tax Manager and outside tax personnel of non-operated partnerships, reviews all partnership agreements and assists manager to inform third party operators about partnership tax information needs. Maintains effective relationships with third party tax information providers.
- Review and preparation of tax return work-papers. More complex tax compliance tasks may be assigned to consultant role and reviewed by manager. Routine preparation work is generally performed by staff and senior tax analysts and their work is reviewed by this role.
- Consultant will also review the preparation of annual Schedule K-1, including monthly and annual schedules of book to taxable income, net cash equivalents, and financial and tax basis balance sheets.
- Reviews and reconciles inputs and outputs from the MLP database, including documenting compliance with internal controls.
- Reviews tax fixed asset activities as supported in the internal and MLP K-1 service providers systems.
- Reviews SAP tax depreciation and gain/loss calculations, analyzing partnership depreciation and gains/losses to partners.
- Provide analysis and information required for business development and tax planning activities.
- Interface with Accounting Organization personnel to obtain and understand financial data and transactions.
- Investigate and respond to public unitholder inquiries.
- Mentor and train tax staff; direct reports of 4-5.
- Bachelor's in Accounting, highly prefer MAcc, MST, or MBA; CPA required
- 10+ years relevant tax experience in domestic partnership income tax compliance, tax consulting, and/or planning experience in Big 4 and/or at large publicly traded O&G companies
- Significant experience in federal partnership income tax compliance and tax position analysis for U.S. partnerships (SubChapter K) and Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs) required
- Ability to model tax outcomes & validate technical tax merits of partner adjustments under Internal Revenue Code sections 734 and 743, section 704(c) allocation processes, & partnership capital account rules under section 704(b)
- Technical accounting lens approach, ability to research and document tax issues
- Good mix of in the weeds partnership tax experience and high level consultative approach
- Ability to communicate complex tax issues in layman's terms
- Experience with general ledger accounting systems (SAP, Oracle) including fixed assets and CorpTax preferred
- Experience implementing new software a plus
- Strong Excel proficiency and experience with Alteryx a plus
- Personable, outgoing, collaborative team player who drives change and can steer direction of partnership group