Requisition ID: 111839
Job Level: Mid Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit is seeking an experienced Offshore Substation Project Engineer to provide design oversight, technical expertise and guidance for offshore wind collection stations and interconnections to onshore stations. This position is for an experienced design engineer with a background in high-voltage station design, with expertise in offshore station equipment and functionality, design criteria and applicable codes. The candidate must possess leadership experience, excellent communication skills and demonstrate a strong desire to work collaboratively within a group of experienced professionals.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you the satisfaction of a job well done but will help propel you forward in your career faster than you may expect. We’ll train you, develop your skills and allow you to take on power projects that will impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
Renewables and new technology
We are a high performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the power markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is US based. Sponsorship opportunities available.
• Provide overall project coordination and engineering oversight on assigned substation projects.
• Develop specifications for the procurement, installation and testing of substation equipment.
• Apply engineering application software to complete engineering calculations and tasks such as grounding, equipment sizing, and electrical studies.
• Communicate and coordinate project activities with project manager, clients and other stakeholders.
• Develop relationships with partners within the Offshore Wind sector.
• Manage the use and provide insight in the development/use of Kiewit tools in order to increase efficiency in planning, design, and project execution.
• Provide technical expertise on offshore substation project engineering and management, including functional layouts, optimization, and operability.
• Monitor QA/QC of project and coordinate with QA/QC team to resolve any design or process issues.
• Prepare technical requirements for project.
• Evaluate vendor submittals for technical compliance.
• Review as-built documentation from contractor(s)
• Manage and support contractor RFIs.
• Promote and support interdisciplinary coordination.
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with Kiewit quality control program.
• Develop and improve processes, tools and/or technology
• Interface with clients on a regular basis.
• Responsible for grid code compliance
• Manage all lessons learned and incorporate them into department standards/processes
- Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) in electrical engineering from an ABET accredited university
- At least seven years’ experience performing engineering related duties
- Knowledge and understanding of US engineering standards including (but not limited to):
- ANSI C2, C37, C57, C62
- IEEE 1, 4, 80, 120, 1300, 1375, 1459, 1584, 1862
- NFPA 70, 70E, 110, 780, 791, 850
- Knowledge and understanding of DNV-GL-ST-0145 Offshore Substation Standard
- Knowledge and understanding of international engineering standards including (but not limited to):
- IEC 60076, 60870, 61000, 61400, 61850, 62271,
- Deep understanding of offshore wind farm electrical system design requirements and solutions including interface points between onshore and offshore substations
- Experience working as a project engineer on an offshore wind project.
- Capability to manage people effectively in order to meet quality and project schedule.
- Professional Engineer (PE) preferred
- Legally able to work within the United States for any length of time
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; fluent in English language
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.