At Houston Methodist, the Nursing Supervisor is responsible for 24-hour comprehensive operational delivery and quality of patient care provided in the designated areas(s) of responsibility in conjunction with Manager and Director. The Supervisor assists with developing and implementing performance initiatives to ensure optimal patient safety and outcomes and customer satisfaction. Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communications skills. Fosters interdepartmental/interdisciplinary collaboration. Participates in committees, representing unit and Nursing in a positive manner.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Creates and maintains an environment of collaboration by mentoring and role modeling teamwork within the department. Effectively interacts within and between departments ensuring seamless flow of information/communication. (EF)
- Consults with department leadership on coaching/corrective counseling, and staff performance to achieve desired outcomes. Conducts new hire feedback sessions and provides recognition/commendations, as appropriate. (EF)
- Participates in management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Ensures that all department personnel are properly trained and complies with all policies and procedures. Assists with meeting or exceeding threshold goal for department turnover. (EF)
- Role models clear and professional communication to facilitate problem resolution to achieve mutual understanding. Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up consistently.
SERVICE - 20%
- Ensures that daily flex team operations are conducted in accordance with HM department policies and procedures. Proactively monitors coverage of unit to maximize presence of management and staff. (EF).
- Responds to patient and employee concerns, taking appropriate action and escalating to leadership according to appropriate procedures. (EF)
- Leads and maintains high customer satisfaction while providing the highest level of service and patient care. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Employs a proactive approach in the optimization positive outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, and identifying solutions via collaboration. Role models situational awareness using teachable moments to improve safety. Participates in department process improvements and identifies opportunities for corrective action. Participates in investigations as a result of the root cause analysis process as assigned by manager. (EF)
- Monitors self and ensures employee compliance with competencies, credentials, in-services, policies and procedures and assists management with associated actions upon non-compliance. (EF)
- Facilitates and participates in annual in service training and focal point review process according to policies and procedures. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
FINANCE - 20%
- Assists in the management of essential and non-essential department expenditures to achieve financial target through optimization of productivity, supply/resource efficiency , minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications.
- Manages staffing needs including scheduling, time off requests and time keeping,
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred. Supports Houston Methodist and department goals and vision. Identifies industry trends and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations. (EF)
- Participates in hospital based activities, operating as magnet champion and shared governance leader. Ensuring the flex team is well represented in shared governance processes and hospital wide committees and task forces. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher from an accredited School of Nursing
- Two years of nursing experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC) - recognized certification in applicable specialty area preferred within one year of eligibility.