At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Position is responsible for performing various laboratory tests/procedures as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in a biological science OR
- Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Scientist program within the last 5 years;OR
- MLT (ASCP) certification and two years of full time acceptable laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Urinalysis/Body Fluids in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory** within the last four years;OR
- CLA(ASCP)* and four years of full time acceptable experience in in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Urinalysis/Body Fluids in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory** within the last eight years;OR
- Five years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Urinalysis/Body Fluids in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory** within the last ten years.
Licenses/Certifications: MT (ASCP) Registry, Certified MLS (ASCP), or eligible for registry and pass within 1 year of employment.
Experience/ Knowledge/ Skills:
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Performs and documents test results, quality control, maintenance procedures and associated corrective actions according to policy/procedure.
- Manages/performs other aspects of daily lab operations including collections, sample processing, results reporting/ distribution, personnel direction (as appropriate), and clerical duties as required to maintain efficient work flow, at a competent level and according to the age/needs of the patient/populations served, communicated special circumstances to appropriate personnel.
- Interacts with hospital personnel, volunteers, physicians and patients as to specimens and orders coming into the Laboratory and/or reporting results out according to the policies and procedures of the Laboratory Services and with sensitivity to customer needs.
- Complies with policies, procedures, and initiatives of laboratory services, the hospital and the system; understands, communicate and complies with standards and conditions set forth by various governmental and accrediting agencies including TJC, FDA, CAP, AABB, CMS, HCFA and CLIA.
- Performs duties in a manner to promote quality patient care and customer service/ satisfaction, while promoting safety, cost efficiency, and a commitment to the PI process.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.