Oversees on-time, safe METROLift and METRO’s Community Connector service delivery to include: Directing drivers, street supervisors and maintenance personnel while on the road to ensure prompt and efficient delivery of METROLift services. Uses a PC based computer dispatching system, radio system and vehicle location system to track the increasing number of disabled patron pick-ups per service day. Documents schedule changes. Rapidly reviews schedules and trip data to make sound decisions on routing and re-routing patron services. Handles many data inputs at once to include difficult drivers over the radio, irate patrons on the telephone or in the vehicles, and the pressure of time passing without becoming emotional or overwhelmed. Minimum service interruptions that cause patron complaints and financial loss to METRO. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Oversees METROLift and Community Connector service delivery to include: directing drivers, street supervisors and maintenance personnel while on the road to ensure prompt, safe and efficient delivery by METROLift vehicle services.
- Uses a PC based computer dispatching system, radio system and vehicle location system to track the increasing number of disabled patron pick-ups per service day.
- Identifies and documents alternative vehicle resources as required to re-assign to prevent and/or recover from service interruptions that can cause patron complaints/physical distress and financial loss to METRO for unproductive use of revenue hours. Requires communication and coordination with drivers, supervisors, maintenance personnel, METROLift supervisors and Contractor administrators.
- Consistently contacts drivers to update their schedules, reviewing the schedules and their documentation to make decisions on when to remove trips from driver to return them to an on-time status.
- Identifies, documents and issues to each driver over 1,500 trip assignment changes each day based on patron lateness, early request or driver lateness.
- Answers routine customer calls involving verifying trip information, cancelling trips, checking on the status of a ride, and general information about METROLift services.
- Documents customer call information in the scheduling system.
- Provides accurate information and outstanding customer service to callers.
- Manages patron crisis calls documenting problems and initiating corrective action in a timely manner.
- Receives and documents driver input regarding patron trip changes (i.e., no-rides, cancellations).
- Monitors and assists, drivers, street supervisors and maintenance personnel with street issues to avoid delays (i.e., incorrect addresses, gate codes, being lost, communication equipment problems, security issues etc.).
- Identifies, documents and reports driver misconduct to Contractors and METROLift Supervisory Staff to enable METRO to asses liquidated damages recovering from loss of revenue services.
- Identifies, documents and reports vehicle breakdowns, road calls and accidents to all appropriate METRO staff, vehicle Contractors, street supervisors, and police and emergency agencies.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum of two (2) years’ experience as a fleet dispatcher or direct experience in paratransit scheduling or dispatching, or related field. Experience on a computer based dispatching system, radio system and vehicle locator system preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Knowledge of Houston street system, knowledge of radio communication procedures/terminology required. Good communication and decision-making skills. Knowledge of computers and related software.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.