Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
OptumServe is part of the family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group one of the leaders across the US health care system. We primarily serve the Federal Health Market including those who serve our nation, providing quality health care services to our Military and Veterans and to HHS including CMS. OptumServe has become a leader in bringing the fight to the COVID-19 pandemic through its consulting for back-to-work and its vast testing and vaccination programs for states, employers, and Long-Term Care (LTC) facilities.
Our commitment to helping people live healthier lives and making the health system better for everyone is greater than ever. Our efforts complement the Military and VHA Health Systems and CMS and Government and Employer COVID programs demonstrate the best blend of public and private health care solutions.
The Medical/Surgical (Med/Surg) Medical Director primary focus will be the COVID Programs for testing and vaccines. This position will work actively to implement and administer medical policies, Quick Reference Guides, clinical quality management and regulatory compliance programs for the COVID testing and vaccination sites. The Med/Surg Medical Director will be accountable for ensuring that initiatives focus on infection control, safety, clinical excellence and throughput implemented and successfully managed to achieve performance expectations. This position requires working closely with VP, Clinical Services and Quality and with Clinical Directors in the COVID programs. The Medical Director advises the Deputy and Chief Medical Officers on improvement opportunities and provides leadership to headquarters and site clinical staff through education and consultation opportunities. Provides feedback on clinical performance with plans for clinical performance improvement.
The Medical Director is responsible for clinical leadership within OptumServe and reports to the Deputy Chief Medical Officer and collaborates with the OptumServe VPs for Clinical Services and Clinical Quality and Directors of COVID programs
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develops, coordinates and participates in COVID testing and vaccination programs’ development, implementation, oversight and monitoring as a medical leader within the OptumServe team:
- Establishes and oversees standards of practice for COVID programs. Assures adherence to CDC clinical guidelines
- Will work collaboratively with the Deputy CMO, CMO, VP Clinical Services and Directors, COVID Programs in the development and implementation of policies and procedures, quick reference guides, training materials, and Event Operations Center Medical Operations in end to end program development
- Works with the VPs Clinical Services and Clinical Quality to ensure adherence to current CDC guidelines and all state and local regulations and requirements
- Provides for and recommends clinical program enhancements and quality improvements that adhere to the CDC and state and local Public Health Departments requirements and reflect emerging clinical solutions and best evidence-based practices
- Provides clinical education to clinical staff to ensure COVID programs’ success
- Analyzes reports to refine management activities, investigate and define variation, and ensure conformance to expected standards and targets
- Accountabilities include oversight of COVID clinical processes with a focus on infection control, safety, best clinical practice and throughput to ensure herd immunity and virus containment
- Ensures compliance with policies, procedures, bylaws, regulatory requirements, and best practice guidelines
- Participates in standing up new sites or remediation of sites with quality or productivity issues. This position may require up to 50% travel for short stays at COVID program sites
- Participate in the development and implementation of the COVID clinical quality management program
- Active participant in COVID Programs Quality Oversight Committee and all quality activities such as development of competency checks and audits
- Ensures consistent and continual monitoring of quality of care delivered
- Participate in Potential Quality Incidence (PQI) reviews and disposition
- Reviews COVID dashboard and quality reports for trends and participates in formulation of quality improvement plans.
- Provides and receives consistent feedback on the clinical quality of care being delivered
- Ensures compliance with CDC, FDA, and Local and State Public Health Department guidelines and regulations for testing and vaccination and reporting
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Assist with consultation on RFI, RFP, contracts and educational activities at OptumServe Consulting
- Assist with OptumServe Health Services Medical Director duties when required
- Assist with VA Community Care Network Medical Director duties when required
- Assist with OptumServe DoD and VA Nurse Advice Lines’ Medical Director duties when required
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- MD or DO with an active, unrestricted license
- Board Certified in an ABMS or AOBMS specialty; medical or surgical specialty
- 5+ years of clinical practice experience
- Travel up to 50% for short stays at COVID program sites
- Excellent project management skills
- Data analysis and interpretation skills
- Familiarity with current medical issues and practices
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- 1+ year of Quality Management experience
- Ability to develop relationships with clinical leadership in state, county, employer, school, and other clients’ physician and other clinical leaders
- Ability to focus on key metrics
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Agile and flexible disposition with a sense of urgency are must haves in this fast moving and everchanging pandemic environment
As a requirement of UnitedHealth Group’s contract with the Department of Defense and the VA, this position requires U.S. citizenship and proof of favorable adjudication following submission of Department of Defense form SF86, (the National Agency Check or “NAC”). Successful completion of the NAC process is a requirement for continued employment in this role. NAC processing will be initiated by our OptumServe Security Officer post-offer, and can take 3-6 months for a final decision communication from the Department of Defense and/or VA. Candidates will be allowed to begin employment with UnitedHealth Group in this role based on an interim clearance, and final results will be communicated as they are received. Failure to obtain final NAC approval will result in termination from this role.
Optum, a part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, continues to evolve and make a bigger impact through its extensive expertise in combining technology, data and people to create novel health care solutions and services across the globe. OptumServe is following suit by creating and delivering care that meets the health needs of active duty service members, veterans and their families. We're partnering with federal and state government agencies to meet the readiness and health needs of active duty military members and veterans by providing preventive health screenings and assessments to ensure that troops are ready to answer the call of duty. For those who want to intensify their impact in a career that brings together challenge, learning and growth, OptumServe is the right place to do your life’s best work.(sm)
The range and pay mix of base and bonus is variable based upon experience and metric achievement. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drugfree workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Medical Director, COVID Programs, ABMS, AOBMS, Medical-Surgical, Quality Management, Data Analysis, Project Management, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota, Atlanta, GA, Georgia, Tampa, FL, Florida, Raleigh, NC, North Carolina, Baltimore, MD, Maryland, Philadelphia, PA, Pennsylvania, New York City, NY, New York, Boston, MA, Massachusetts, Indianapolis, IN, Indiana, Chicago, IL, Illinois, Ann Arbor, MI, Michigan, Nashville, TN, Tennessee, St. Louis, MO, Missouri, Houston, Dallas, TX, Texas, Las Vegas, NV, Nevada, Phoenix, AZ, Portland, OR, Oregon, Seattle, WA, Washington, United States, Work At Home, Remote, Work From Home, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting