Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work. (sm)
The Medical Assistant (MA) participates in providing patient care at the appropriate skill level. They have a duty to provide a standard of care that meets or exceeds that of a reasonably competent and knowledgeable Medical Assistant. The MA performs duties within their scope of practice delegated by, and under the supervision of, a provider (TX) or physician (FL).
- Perform all duties within the scope of a Medical Assistant’s practice
- Operate diagnostic equipment (cannot interpret tests), remove staples from superficial wounds, change wound dressing and obtain cultures, administer non-intravenous medication, perform simple specimen collection via noninvasive techniques and collect blood specimens via venipuncture or via capillary, perform EKGs
- Perform quality control checks on equipment
- Prepare and sterilizes medical equipment using the autoclave
- Room patients according to policy and procedures, prepare patient for examination
- Record patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner
- Coordinate patient care as directed by physicians, company standards and policies
- Respect patient confidentiality at all times and treat patients with courtesy and respect
- Organize exam and treatment rooms, stock and clean rooms and sterilize instruments
- Practice standard infection control precautions
- Telephone and in-person screening limited to intake and gathering of information without requiring the exercise of judgment based on clinical knowledge
- Support and follow Standard Delegation of Orders (SDO)
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Current, nationally recognized Medical Assistant certification or the ability to obtain the certification within 180 days of employment. Medical Assistants who are hired prior to receiving their certification are expected to perform at the same level as a “certified” Medical Assistant
- Current BLS certification (through an approved American Heart Association Training Center or the Military Training Network) at time of hire or within 30 days of hire
- Basic computer literacy, with intermediate Excel skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor’s diagnosis of disease
- 1+ year of experience as a Medical Assistant
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding
- Bilingual (English / Spanish)
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Experience reacting calmly and effectively in emergency situations
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We’re innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We’re impacting 550,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We’ve joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: BLS, ICD-10, CPT, Bilingual, CMS, Medical Assistant, MALCDCBDriver2019, Friendswood, Pearland, Deer Park, Pasadena and Channelview, Houston, TX, Texas