At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Responsible for assisting providers in the administration of patient care in assigned clinical areas. Assists with patient examinations, procedures, diagnostic studies, treatment, and dressing changes. Also performs general administrative duties in accordance with TJC, CLIA, HIPAA, NCQA and government standards, as well as company policies and procedures. All patient care is under the direction of a physician and within the scope of a medical assistant.
- High school diplomaor GED required;and Graduation from a Medical Assistant programor
- Eligible for certification by either the American Medical Technologist (AMT)or
- The American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)or
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA)or National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP) required
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA)or
- A Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)or Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)or
- Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant (NRCMA) required within 12 months of hire;and Current American Heart Association BLS/CPR certification within 30 days of hire. Maintains required credentials
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Six (6) months of medical assistant experience required;or Completion of a medical assistant externship required.
- Specialty clinic experience is preferred
- For Urgent Care Locations: Six (6) months of medical assistant experience requiredand previous Phlebotomy experience preferred
- Demonstrates ability to maintain good communications; ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees, physicians, patients, families, and the public
- Working knowledge of ICD9/10 and CPT coding and insurance procedures
- Works primarily a pre-determined schedule but occasional requirements to work evenings or weekends depending on patient care needs may exist; ability to float to other clinic practices as needed is an expectation
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring One Memorial Hermann.
Under the overall supervision of the Practice Manager, direct clinical supervision of the physician and within established policies and procedures, the incumbent performs the following functions:
- Delivers appropriate care to patients, at a proficient level; is cross-trained to competently care for patients from multiple services/specialties such as: CCC, Urgent Care, Urology, OBGYN, Mental Health, and other specialty clinics.
- Reviews charts prior to patients scheduled appointment to assure that all requested lab work and diagnostic procedures have been completed and that reports have been returned and are accessible to the provider.
- Reviews, obtains, and records patient vital signs, temperature, pulse, height, weight and blood pressure and reason for visit and uses the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) appropriately and follows guidelines.
- Cross trains to perform patient access tasks, including: take messages and assist providers with return phone calls to patients and pharmacies appropriately.
- Direct patients to examination rooms; assists in preparing patients for examination. Notifies provider of patient's arrival and readiness for their examination. Assists providers with patient examinations and procedures, including (but not limited to) surgical procedures, GYN exams, diagnostic studies, and treatments.
- Operates and monitors functioning of equipment; hands instruments to the provider. Conducts hearing, vision, breathing and EKG testing; records results in chart. Administers medications as directed using seven rights. Performs venipuncture, collects urine specimens, and complete lab tests procedures according to policies and procedures. Handles all specimens using Universal Precautions.
- Recognizes emergency situations, seeks assistance and intervenes appropriately. Monitors patient during and following procedures; looks for reactions and other visible complications; reacts to emergency situations; notifies the appropriate person in the event of a medical emergency.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.