The Mechanical Project Engineer will report to the Regional Engineering Manager and will be responsible for supporting creative engineering solutions to production process issues through the modification and improvement of existing equipment and sub components, or the design and development of new products. This role will focus on our Plastic sites and would require someone to have experience in plastic blow molding. They will also utilize their Engineering background to lead projects, develop and implement equipment or process improvements and other engineering functions within the assigned region.
- Evaluates existing production equipment and layout to engineer design improvements enhancing productivity, cost efficiency, reliability and safety. Can be sent to a facility with minimal guidance, establish and implement robust improvement plans.
- Optimizes manufacturing processes, including process control, set-up, changeover, automation, die development, new equipment selections and lean manufacturing work flow improvements.
- Manages several medium size projects including scope development, specifications, schedule, estimating, cost tracking and resource planning for engineering and other technical activities relating to the project to ensure safety, regulatory, and policy requirements are met. Accountable for project execution relative to scope, time and budget. May partner with Engineering Coordinator to execute projects.
- Designs and develops basic mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment or related devices in response to specific new products or manufacturing process requirements. Improves or modifies existing equipment or processes.
- Provide technical consultation to plant maintenance groups pertaining to installation, trouble shooting, process control and repair of equipment.
- Participates with the internal EH&S resources to implement equipment safety standards and procedures. Supports equipment safety upgrades as needed in the plant network. Supports commitment based safety. Promotes use of all PPE by employees, ensuring guards and safety features are working, and good daily safety practices and habits.
Education and Experience
B.S. Degree in Engineering required. Advanced degree a plus.
5+ years of Project Management in manufacturing with practical expertise in mechanical, electrical or plastic engineering.
Knowledge and Skills
- Good knowledge of plastic blow molding and injection molding manufacturing processes and equipment
- Hands-on experience with set-up, troubleshooting, changeover, automation, and mold optimization
- Basic knowledge of mold and die design
- Machine PLC programming and process control set up
- Experience with new product development, design, trials and resin selection a plus
- Basic electromechanical trouble shooting experience
- Strong background in project planning, prioritization, and implementation. PMP certification a plus.
- Experience leading medium projects. Project examples include new equipment, cell design and complete manufacturing line install.
- Experience with developing detailed plans to improve plant reliability, robustness and profitability
- Experience with machine repairs, rebuilds and maintenance plans
- Good knowledge of OSHA, regulatory compliance and industrial safety practices
- 2D and 3D AutoCad preferred
- Spanish speaking is a plus
- Extensive travel required
- provided by Dice