APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
DIVISION: TRANSPORTATION & DRAINAGE OPERATIONS
SECTION: TRAFFIC OPERATIONS
REPORTING LOCATION: 6922 OLD KATY ROAD*
WORKDAYS & HOURS: M – F, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
This position’s primary responsibility will be to manage and lead a team of professional engineers, transportation professionals, and technical staff located at Houston TranStar and assigned to deliver the City of Houston Transportation System Management and Operation (TSMO) program, designed to reduce congestion and improve the safety, reliability, mobility, and efficient utilization of the existing arterial roadway system. This position will coordinate with various branches and service lines within Houston Public Works on concepts in relation to engineering and operations to include the design, construction, and maintenance of traffic control devices, Advanced Traffic Management Systems (ATMS), and ITS design. The Managing Engineer will oversee the signal timing engineering efforts and lead the City’s Active Arterial Management (AAM) and Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) programs through effective collaboration with other agencies, such as TxDOT, Harris County, and METRO. The Managing Engineer will lead, direct and manage the traffic signal operation and optimization program for more than 2,500 traffic signals and assist with Connected and Automated Vehicle (CAV) initiatives.
Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Establishes goals and evaluates section, develops and evaluates performance, develops and manages budget.
- Combines systems management, technology, traffic engineering, and operations into an integrated program designed to improve safety and mobility through innovative strategies.
- Ensures funding and resources are utilized in the most cost effective and beneficial manner.
- Provides accurate and timely responses to the public, contractors, and other department personnel.
- Motivates, trains, and/or ensures required training is available for staff.
- Provides traffic signal construction oversight to ensure compliance with the City of Houston design standards and specifications.
- Provides technical expertise in the research, development, design, monitoring, and implementation of various transportation projects.
- Recruits, selects, and hires professional and technical personnel to enhance productivity.
- Trains and develops new hires and existing staff.
- Develops and applies policies and procedures that support the advancement of TSMO in the daily activities of Houston Public Works Transportations & Drainage Operations.
- Assists the Office of the City Engineer in reviewing and evaluating traffic impact analysis
- Evaluates employees’ performance, during established time frames, throughout the year, and at the formal review period
- Reviews traffic signal design plans including signs, pavement markings, and other traffic control devices.
Will require standing, walking, and include whatever means necessary to climb stairs and the ability to perform and negotiate field hazards.
This is a Houston Public Works Emergency Management position at the Tier II Level.