Manages the installation, maintenance, and monitoring of the companywide server, storage and converged infrastructure technologies and staff as well as contractors and vendors. Responsible for the testing and analysis of all components in Data Center facilities to ensure operational status and manages all corrective actions to server & storage technologies. Evaluates vendor products in hardware, software, and server/storage technologies. Develops data center policies and standards for server, storage and converged infrastructure and ensures adherence to all procedures. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Provides primary managerial direction and performs personnel administrative functions of direct report staff (e.g. training, supervising, work assignments, timesheets, performance evaluations, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining necessary staffing, enhancing productivity of staff and ensuring necessary department outcomes are achieved.
- Daily monitoring of performance for the companywide server and storage systems, tests and analyzes all components in Data Center facilities to ensure operational status and manages all corrective actions to server & storage technologies.
- Coordinates closely with the Manager, Network & Desktop Support and ensures that proper change management processes are followed.
- Make recommendations and implementation of computer server and storage system policies and procedures for production, development, and disaster recovery environments.
- Create a comprehensive plan that defines the strategies and tactics needed to achieve optimum performance and companywide utilization of server and storage computing environment.
- Develop and write procedures needed to maintain all server and storage systems at all METRO locations (main data center, hubs and disaster recovery/business continuity sites). Ensures that these procedures and tested on a routine basis with modifications applied when needed.
- Assist with researching, identifying and recommending innovative technology solutions to support evolving Authority needs in relationship to METRO’s business strategies.
- Create and develop a strategic plan to improve the performance and to reduce Information Technology costs through appropriate upgrades and maintenance of current systems.
- Facilitate the presentation of ideas, recommendations, and projects to all levels of management.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business, or related field.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum of six (6) years’ experience in Information Technology, including substantial experience with large enterprise storage and hyper-converged computing systems. Three (3) years supervisory/lead experience. Experience managing internal and external resources, project plans and budget and adherence to schedules to deliver solutions in a timely and effective manner.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Must be able to successfully manage multiple assignments and projects with competing priorities. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Strong written, oral, and listening skill to facilitate the presentation of ideas, recommendation and projects to senior management
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.