At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Position is responsible for receiving and assigning emergent and non emergent flights to provide air medical transport to 911 agencies, chemical plants and hospitals within a 150 mile radius from the Texas Medical Center. The Life Flight Communications Dispatcher monitors all incoming and outgoing traffic in the Texas Medical Center as well as all Memorial Hermann facilities. Reports to the Manager of EMS Communications.
Life Flight Dispatcher
Education: High School Diplomaor GED
- Current EMT certification and must obtain EMT-B, EMT-I or EMT-P Texas certification within one (1) month of employment
- Certified Flight Communicator through International Association of Air Medical Transport Communication Specialist (IAMTCS) or FAA Aircraft Dispatch Certificate preferred
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Effective oral and written communications skills
- Aviation and medical terminology knowledge preferred
- Must be computer literate and be able to learn multiple software programs, such as, Rescue Net CAD, DeLorme Maps, Healthquest, trauma page and internet explorer
- Map reading skills, including key maps and online mapping programs
- General geographic knowledge of Houston and surrounding counties
- Effective problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to quickly manage and transition between various tasks with rapidly changing priorities all while maintaining attention to detail
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Answers emergency and non-emergency transport telephone lines and coordinate all requests for transport promptly and courteously.
- Assigns emergency calls for scenes and transfers providing air medical support to 911 agencies within 150 miles radius from Memorial Hermann – Texas Medical Center and provide accurate ETA's to the requesting party.
- Communicates with transfer centers, physicians, outlying medical facilities and 911 Centers to collect and document pertinent patient transport information conducting them in a professional manner, using appropriate radio and telephone communication techniques.
- Operates transmitting and receiving two-way radio console, weather AWOS system, computer database, mapping system and related equipment in support of air medical transport teams
- Ensures effective communications are maintained between all aircraft and medical crew members including flight following and vehicle position reports within prescribed timelines.
- The communications specialist will document findings appropriately so as to assure Aeromedical Providers FAA FAR 135 Certificate and CAMTS accreditation standards.
- Coordinates with multiple other air medical agencies that transport patients into the Texas Medical Center.
- Initiates and coordinates Post Accident Incident Plans and emergency plans as needed.
- Notifies appropriate response teams for inbound patients i.e. Trauma team, stroke team, cath lab, medicine teams etc.
- Coordinates and monitors specialty team transports, including but not limited to the MH Children's Transport team and the UT mobile stroke unit as well as fixed wing aircraft.
- Participates in day-to-day departmental activities, performance improvement processes, staff meetings and in-services.
- Generates and faxes billing packets after each patient transport to billing company for processing
- Protects the privacy of patient information in accordance with Hospital Policy and HIPAA guidelines.
- Monitor and direct the movement of aircraft on the ground and in the air
- Direct all ground traffic at Memorial Hermann helipads
- Issue landing and takeoff instructions to pilots
- Inform pilots about weather conditions, helipad availabilities, and other critical information
- Alert Fire, EMS and Police in the event of an aircraft emergency and coordinate response efforts.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.