Legal Counsel Sr, Global Employment and Benefits
Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
In-house attorney with functional responsibilities for mitigating risks and helping to protect the reputation of the business with respect to all aspects of labor, employment, benefits and human capital management, as well as commercial, compliance, and disputes, as needed. Provide legal advice and guidance on related subject matter to management and business representatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee legal operations and legal department to support the human resources group.
- Prepare and implement processes and training related to human resources legal risks.
- Provision of advice with regard to a labor, employment, compensation and benefit issues in order to minimize exposure and expense to the company worldwide while meeting business objectives.
- Management of worldwide investigations, litigation, claims, and audits including, but not limited to, EEOC claims, wrongful terminations, ethics hotline and other complaints, workers compensation matters, OFCCP audits and unemployment hearings.
- Implementation of policies, procedures and guidelines necessary to avoid potential liability to the company, including human resources, compensation and benefits policies, procedures and guidelines, as well as e-discovery, electronic records, data privacy, records management and other litigation risk related policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Provision of practical legal training on issues arising under FLSA, FCPA, FMLA, Title VII, ADEA, ADA, WARN, OWBPA and other domestic and foreign labor, employment, compensation and benefit laws and regulations.
- Research and make recommendations regarding changes in law and regulation as they relate to the company’s labor, employment, compensation and benefits actions, policies and procedures worldwide.
- Partner with the human resources, compensation and benefits client group on strategic employee initiatives.
- Draft, review and/or negotiate employment and other contracts, plans, policies, procedures, guidelines, pamphlets, summaries, communications, and other labor, employment, compensation and benefit related documents, contracts and materials worldwide.
- Support general corporate and commercial transactions relating to the human resources, compensation and benefits client group.
- Advise and work alongside employee clients of the company on legal issues related to human resources.
- Provide support for global compliance projects including the company’s compliance program.
- Conduct periodic training of Company personnel on legal topics and enhance general awareness of legal issues within the business.
- Perform risk assessments and reviews as needed.
- Co-operate with Internal Audit and outside advisors and perform compliance audits and investigations.
- Provide assistance with mergers and acquisitions.
- Provide support for non-employment related claims and disputes, as needed.
- Provide advice and support on social issues as they relate to the Company’s ESG initiatives, including support to the Sustainability Committee or related groups.
- Provide support and advice to the stock plan administration group, including relating to award agreements and various filing requirements.
- Provide other legal support, as needed.
- Manage various projects and deadlines.
- Manage legal managers, analysts, clerks and other non-lawyers within the legal department, as necessary
- Manage Legal Counsel and Associate Legal Counsel, as necessary
- Ensure legal objectives are met.
- Develop solutions to complex legal questions.
- Requires employee to constantly type and use a computer and other office equipment, such as copier, printer, calendar, telephones, etc.
Must have Law Degree from an accredited law school and be licensed to practice
A law degree from a top-tier school.
Required Experience & Skills
- Must have a minimum of 7 years’ experience in applicable field, including international legal experience
- Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking)
Preferred Experience & Skills
A top school ranking, in-house energy industry and external top-tier law firm experience preferred.
- Must be able to communicate and respond to coworkers, customers, vendors, suppliers] and emergency cues/alarms, in person and on the telephone, including use of mobile devices
- Position may require travel 10% of the time