Provides legal representation and counsel to the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas (METRO), primarily in the areas of personal injury and general litigation. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Represents the agency in litigation and other proceedings before courts and administrative agencies, primarily concerning personal injury and property damage claims.
- Negotiates, drafts, and reviews documents relating to, and provides legal advice to management on, tort and general litigation matters.
- Provides legal advice and counsel to management, including risk management and other departments, regarding potential and actual claims and other matters.
- Negotiates disputes and analyzes liability or litigation exposure.
- Provides training to departments on a variety of legal matters.
- Responsible for the administration and reporting requirements to insurance carriers and brokers on legal matters and assists risk management with policy renewals.
- Assists outside litigation counsel in claim development, defense and/or prosecution.
- Researches personal injury claims and issues related to transit law, administrative law, public law and other matters.
- Drafts position statements for tort cases to various agencies as needed.
- Drafts and reviews the scope of services and other documents for professional services.
- Drafts and reviews memorandums of understanding, inter-local agreements, and cooperative agreements between METRO and other governmental entities.
- Researches, drafts, and develops personal injury agency procedures, guidelines and policies.
- Advocates for METRO’s interests in public forums when necessary, including public hearings, administrative proceedings, local or state governmental proceedings and any other necessary forums.
- Provides well-reasoned, thorough legal opinions and guidance on various legal matters affecting METRO.
- Assists and advises in regulatory and compliance audits and ensures compliance with federal, state, county, and local codes, laws, rules, guidelines, and regulations.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Doctor of Jurisprudence from an accredited school of law.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum seven (7) years’ litigation experience before state courts, federal courts and administrative agencies. First chair trial experience is essential. Experience handling personal injury cases from answer to verdict is preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Knowledge of the Texas Tort Claims Act and technical legal skills; an understanding of the agency and its mission; the ability to manage a high-volume case load effectively and efficiently; and an active license to practice law in the State of Texas are required.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.