Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world’s biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization.
Working with the GHD Digital Team across North America, the Data Scientist Intern - Environment is responsible for providing the delivery of expert Data and Analytics solutions and credibility to our Advanced Analytics team and clients. The role can be based anywhere near a GHD HUB. Preferred locations are Houston, Pittsburgh, Edison, Buffalo and the greater Toronto area. The duration of the internship will be throughout the summer semester (June – August).
Specific responsibilities in this role will include:
- Create solutions using advanced statistical analysis, data mining, and data visualization techniques ensuring tasks are completed on time
- Design, implement, and evaluate advanced statistical models and approaches for application in the business’s most complex issues
- Perform ad-hoc data mining and exploratory statistics tasks on very large datasets related to the business’s strategies
- Prepare reports and presentations that will give insights into ongoing/completed work
- Cleansing of large unstructured data and enabling analytical capability to query the data and address various business needs
- Use unstructured and disjointed datasets for the purpose of independently generating actionable business insights as well as creating manageable analytical processes
- Collaborate with senior data scientists to communicate obstacles and findings to relevant stakeholders to improve decision-making and drive business performance
- Come up with superb illustrations and visualizations of data communicating results as measures of the business’s impact
- Team player, cooperating with others in the data analytics team and sharing information and knowledge, in solving complex business issues
- Seeking advice from others when learning
- Coordinating and monitoring specific team tasks when requested
- Document completed work so that anyone will be able to understand and implement it
- Will work in environment domain with a focus on contamination, assessment, and remediation
- Must be able to mine data from EPA, state government’s environment regulation websites etc
- Assist in performing tasks using ESRI tools like ArcGIS Pro, WebApp Builder
- Assist in building libraries which are focused on performing analysis relevant to environment
For success in this position, you will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Must be enrolled in a graduate program (preferably in Chemical/Environmental Engineering) and eligible to work full-time (40 hours/week)
- Strong knowledge of remediation techniques, chemical engineering calculations, PFAs compounds
- Able to think and function independently with minimal supervision
- Strong programming skills and experience working with tools such as Excel, R, Python, ArcGIS, SQL Server Management Studio, Azure MLS, Azure DevOps, Git
- Must have completed either academic coursework or MOOCs related to programming
- Academic/professional experience in but not limited to libraries such as Pandas, NLTK, Scrapy, BeautifulSoup, Numpy/Scipy, Sklearn/H2O, TensorFlow/PyTorch and/or Keras
- Good understanding of Dataframe Manipulation, Web Scraping, Natural Language Processing Machine Learning, Deep Learning concepts, techniques, and algorithms with a specialization in at least one of the listed concepts
- Basic knowledge of Big Data techniques and Cloud Computing
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
- Ability to troubleshoot complex issues
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Confident but friendly and approachable
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanization are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognize achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly ‘One GHD’ across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents – Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.
If you are passionate about pursuing this position, please submit your resume and cover letter via the link above.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.