The role of the Director in the Advisory and Project Finance team of the Energy+ Group is to lead in the execution and the origination of both advisory and arranging activities in the Energy and Project Finance sector (including midstream/downstream energy, petrochemicals, renewable power, thermal power, and energy transition technologies) throughout the Americas. Day to day responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Act as the primary deal team leader in the execution and origination of both advisory and financing mandates
- Prepare and coordinate client pitches and presentations
- Execute advisory mandates:
- Preparation of comprehensive financing strategy
- Analysis of financing alternatives/solutions
- Optimization of financing structures
- Preparation of reports and position papers, including presentations to clients
- Review of financial models
- Preparation of financial plan for bid submissions
- Review and comment on relevant commercial agreements
- Review and comment on relevant financing agreements
- Negotiations with clients, potential financiers and public sector investors
- Management and coordination of project closings
- Managing and developing junior staff
- Execute arranging mandates:
- Preparation of term sheets
- Review of project documentation
- Negotiation of loan documentation with clients
- Identification of opportunities to improve the banks profitability from the transaction
- Risk analysis
- Preparation and presentation of credit applications
- Liaising and coordinating with other departments involved in the transaction
- Supervision of the closing process
- Ongoing support of the transaction post financial close
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the Energy sector, current market conditions and financing trends.
- Identify opportunities in our target market.
- Maintain and build relationships with target clients.
- Technical/Origination Skills:
- Demonstrable track record of having originated and executed advisory and lending transactions, and of having formed lasting relationships with clients and investors in the energy space
- Extensive experience in structuring, accounting/tax analysis and procurement of tax equity investors/investments for renewable and/or transition related financings
- Strong financial modelling skills
- Strong numeracy skills, intimate understanding of accounting concepts, financial statements, cash flows and corporate finance valuation.
- Strong credit analysis skills (formal Credit training is a plus)
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
- Strong presentation skills, both orally and in writing
- Capacity to understand complex financial structures and familiarity with credit and related legal documentation
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, pressure orientated environment and deliver under tight deadlines
- Solid understanding of financial markets
- Ability to work in a team structure
- Qualifications / Experience Needed:
- 8+ years of prior experience in project financing with direct involvement in bid situations financial closes
- 3+ years in developing complex financial models for project finance transactions
- Educational Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree (mathematic, physics, engineering or economy/finance/business) from a top tier university
- Master’s degree
- Fluent English
- Second language a plus (Spanish speaking)
The Energy + Group at Societe Generale has had a long-standing track record in energy project finance and is a market-leader in advising and lending to multi-billion-dollar projects in the Americas region. We anticipate this to continue, with a number of large deals expected to close in the coming years, including fueled by the energy transition momentum in the energy space. The Energy + team is based in two locations, New York and Houston. We also have teams globally in Europe, Asia, and Australia. In providing our advice and funding, we collaborate with specialists across the range of energy subsectors in which project finance and acquisition finance are utilized, including select offshore upstream; midstream, including oil and gas pipelines/processing, storage, LNG; petrochemicals, refining, and fertilizers; power and renewables; and energy transition technologies.
In addition to our debt advisory and lending business, we support clients with a full spectrum of capital solutions through the wider Global Banking and Investor Services division that entails M&A, Equity Capital Markets, Private Placements, Debt Capital Markets, Project Bonds, and interest rate hedging.
Our advisory and lending business has received numerous awards over the years, including most recently by IJGlobal the 2021 Financial Advisor of the Year, MLA of the Year and Bond Arranger of the Year in Europe and Africa, as well as Bond Arranger of the Year in North America and several Deal of the Year Awards in North America and Latin America.
The Director Advisory & Energy Project Finance position advertised is for the Houston office of the Energy+ Group.