Under general supervision of the Police Sergeant, is responsible for ensuring patron compliance with the Authority’s self-service fare policy on the light rail system. Acts as a goodwill ambassador providing passenger information, responds to questions on the system, fares, ordinances, service schedules and provides assistance including boarding and de-boarding as required. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Inspects and verifies the validity of tickets/passes, issues citations for fare ordinance violations.
- Issues citations or warnings to customers on board without proper fare or photo identification.
- Completes forms on citation or warning from information provided by customer.
- Provides appropriate copies of citation or warning to customer.
- Provides follow-up on citations including court appearances.
- Completes Daily Performance Goals of: Platform Checks, Light Rail Vehicle Checks, and Customer Education Contacts.
- Initiates follow-up reports in all activities.
- Provides information to all patrons on all METRO services and coordinating activities with METRO Police or other METRO personnel.
- Assists customers with purchasing tickets from Ticket Vending Machines (TVM). Uses TVM training to assist and educate customers on proper use of TVM.
- Reports safety hazards, disruptive behavior and violations of law observed while on duty to appropriate personnel.
- Ensures safety and security of passengers by requesting the appropriate emergency first responders.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED required
Years & Experience Required
Minimum three (3) years’ experience working in a customer service or client focused environment interacting directly with the public providing information and assistance.
Knowledge & Skills Required
A valid Texas Driver’s license is required for the job and must meet METRO’s requirements regarding motor vehicle records. Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to prioritize work assignments, have good time management skills and good judgment in emergencies and confrontational situations. Must Pass physical (medical) examination which includes a drug screen.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.