Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Job Classification: ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY I
Section: REAL ESTATE
Location: 900 BAGBY, HOUSTON, TX
Workdays & Hours: MONDAY – FRIDAY 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM* *Subject to Change
The Office of the City Attorney for the City of Houston (the “OCA”) provides municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees while adhering to the following guiding principles:
- Quality & Service – Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients.
- Partnership & Teamwork – Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City’s goals.
- Integrity & Candor – Placing honesty and ethical behavior first.
- Dignity & Diversity – Promoting each person’s value.
- Innovation & Imagination – Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City’s objectives.
Composed of approximately 100 of Houston’s finest attorneys working in 10 legal practice sections, the OCA handles personal injury, commercial and civil rights litigation, major commercial and real estate transactions, and a diverse array of human resources, labor and employment matters, while also counseling the municipal corporation on economic development, constitutional, election matters, ethics and quality of life matters, and preparing City ordinances governing Houston and its citizens.
Every member of the OCA must be committed to “Service Through Law.”
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston Legal Department is seeking an efficient, and solutions-focused environmental attorney to handle matters related to a myriad of environmental law matters, including air, water, and/or waste regulatory compliance, permitting and enforcement matters.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing guidance and counsel to various City departments about possible environmental infractions and enforcement requirements.
- Engaging with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and other environmental organizations to forge relationships, update client departments regarding current environmental regulations and requirements, and keep the needs of the City of Houston on the forefront of future federal and state environmental changes and regulations.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements, including settlements, with commercial businesses and private property owners related to contamination, regulations, and the clean up of contaminated sites.
- Drafting ordinances related to various environmental legal matters including Municipal Settings Designations and Code of Ordinance amendments.
- Reviewing and commenting on proposed environmental laws and regulations.
- Rendering legal advice to various City of Houston departments regarding environmental permitting, monitoring, and enforcement of City environmental codes.
- Drafting, reviewing, and/or revising city policies to further the City’s goal of preventing and remediating environmental contamination in the City of Houston.
- Working in collaboration with various attorneys on purchase and sale agreements, easements, deeds, and litigation to ensure the City of Houston is protected against environmental contamination.
- Supporting a senior environmental attorney in day to day activities including attending client meetings, assisting in proposed legislation review during legislative session, and assisting client departments with various environmental activities including enforcement of City of Houston environmental policies and procedures.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment.