Please note, the hiring of this position is contingent upon receiving funding
USRA is looking for a user-experience (UX) designer able to understand our business requirements and any technical limitations, as well as be responsible for conceiving and conducting user research, interviews and surveys, and translating them into sitemaps, user flows, customer journey maps, wireframes, mockups, prototypes and functional templates for production system. The UX designer will also be expected to design the overall functionality of the product, and in order to ensure a great user experience, iterate upon it in accordance with user-testing.
- Strong programming skills; logical, critical, and disciplined thinker; focus on developing algorithms; analyzing and solving programming problems
- Ability to work independently and without direct managerial supervision.
- Meet with project stakeholders to obtain or develop application requirements as well as desired application performance and capabilities. Additionally, collaborate with customer and internal team to estimate time schedule, cost constraints, and feasibility to accomplish required outcome
- Collaborate with stakeholders and software development team to design application and its subsystems as part of the overall integration platform
- Design, develop, and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design
- Modify existing software to correct errors, add new features, or to improve its performance
- Perform administration functions on the platform's development and staging environments
- Manage participation in production operations activities such as change requests, change control boards, and change windows
- Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences.
- Design and deliver wireframes, user stories, user journeys, and mockups optimized for a wide range of devices and interfaces.
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core, and new, functions and features.
- Manage participation in weekly IT Working Group meetings for group reporting and high-level decision-making.
- Manage platform authentication and authorization components using agency SSO systems
- Participate in internal code reviews and manage the software build and integration pipeline
- Participate in and review data modeling activities.
Other job related duties as assigned
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science required or equivalent years or experience
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Three or more years of UX design experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience designing complex solutions for complete digital environments.
- Extensive experience in using UX design best practices to design solutions, and a deep understanding of mobile-first and responsive design.
- A solid grasp of user-centered design (UCD), planning and conducting user research, user testing, A/B testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, usability and accessibility concerns.
- Ability to iterate designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently
- Experience with UI technologies such as HTML5, CSS, and templating languages (XSLT knowledge desired)
- Experience with multiple operating systems: Linux, Windows
- Experience in software source control, inter-process and network communication, and protocols such as HTTP
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with Single Sign-On systems
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of software development cycle, object-oriented software design and development, inter-process and network communication
- Excellent written communication skills along with strong organizational, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think independently and strategically and assess solutions for short and long term goals
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively in an interdisciplinary team of scientists as well as independently
- Establish effective collaboration and interactions with diverse levels of staff
- Eagerness to coach and mentor junior developers
- High-performance Java servlet-based web applications
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and its applications
- Infrastructure: Virtualbox, AWS, Linux, Windows
- Software and data stores: Elasticsearch, MySQL, Apache web server,
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, etc. Extensive online usage. This is largely a sedentary role.
Applicants should apply to the posting at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/ and include a letter of interest, resume, or curriculum vita. Review of candidates will begin immediately. Additional information on USRA can be found at www.usra.edu.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled/ Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity