***This position may be filled as an Engineer II, III or Sr., depending on the qualifications and or the experience of the candidate.***
***This position can be located in Woodlands, TX; Beaumont, TX; or Conroe, TX.***
Distribution Automation (DA) Engineer will act as a company liaison and provide technical support for analysis, design, commissioning, and troubleshooting of distribution field devices. Work closely with Distribution Asset Planning and Field Engineering personnel, as a Distribution Automation liaison, providing technical support for Entergy’s Grid Modernization efforts.
- Performing a wide variety of engineering analysis and project-oriented engineering activities in support of the Distribution Automation effort and control theory
- Provide technical support to Distribution Design Engineers, Operations, and Managed Accounts as it relates to distribution field equipment automation and communications
- Identify, implement, and maintain performance for both new and existing Automated Load Transfer (ALT) Projects and Sectionalization Projects
- Test DMS automation use cases in lab environment and field tests
- Perform post automation event and non-event analysis and audits
- Develop device settings as needed to support mitigation and projects
- Develop and execute annual automation and SCADA work plan
- Build and maintain solutions for DA device configuration, templates, SCADA maps, displays, and device management system
- Support the Distribution 10-year Capital Plan and Joint T&D component of the Transmission Capital Plan
- Work with Transmission organization to develop and implement distribution substation automation
- Complete DA device firmware and settings modification testing and associated change management
- Coordinate deployment of Smart Line Sensor Program
- Maintain distribution settings management process
- Develop DA analytics platform in regard to DA devices and associated information
- Participate in routine, non-routine, and emergency storm and outage restoration duties
Minimum education required for the position
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering discipline from a four-year accredited institution (typically Electrical, Mechanical, Civil and Chemical, Industrial). Degrees in engineering technology (typically Electrical, Mechanical, Civil and Chemical, Industrial)
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with PE or the ability to acquire PE within 2 – 5 years, depending on Engineer level. Degrees in engineering technology from a four-year accredited institution with PE may be considered.
Minimum experience required for the position
Engineer II: 2+ years experience in an engineering discipline.
Engineer III: 4+ years experience in an engineering discipline.
Engineer Sr: 6+ years experience in an engineering discipline.
Minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the position
Technical mastery of engineering principles. In-depth knowledge of procedures, programs, and standards in responsible area. Consistently drives for value in sound engineering decisions. Mentors other engineers and technical professionals. Good leadership skills. Good interpersonal skills along with strong written and oral communication skills. Excellent math skills. Excellent project management skills. Good knowledge of Personal Computer operations and related software. Familiar with National Electrical Safety Codes and National Electrical Code. Ability to manage multiple activities and changing priorities. Ability to work well under pressure. Required to work safely and follow all Entergy safety policies and procedures. Ability to recognize hazards in the workplace and have the ability to mitigate the hazards. Ability to meet the public in a pleasant and tactful manner and understand the importance of delivering a high level of customer service. Demonstrated acceptance of a diverse and inclusive work environment and customer base. Ability to recognize opportunities for process improvement and have the ability to enact change.
Any certificates, licenses, etc., required for the position
Engineer III-Sr: EIT OR Graduate Level Engineering Degree OR MBA Required. Must have valid driver's license and good driving record.
Must be available for 24 hour call out and extended hours as necessary. As a provider of essential services, Entergy expects its employees to be available to work additional hours, to work in alternate locations, and/or to perform additional duties in connection with storms, outages, emergencies, or other situations as deemed necessary by the company. Exempt employees may not be paid overtime associated with such duties.
Primary Location: Texas-Woodlands
Job Function: Engineering
FLSA Status: Professional
Relocation Option: Level II
Union description/code: NON BARGAINING UNIT-NBU
Number of Openings: 1
Req ID: 101386
Travel Percentage:Up to 25%
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. Please click here to view the full statement.
As a provider of essential services, Entergy expects its employees to be available to work additional hours, to work in alternate locations, and/or to perform additional duties in connection with storms, outages, emergencies, or other situations as deemed necessary by the company. Exempt employees may not be paid overtime associated with such duties.
Please note: Authorization to work in the United States is a precondition to employment in this position. Entergy will not sponsor candidates for work visas for this position.