Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Job Classification: EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT PROGRAM MANAGER (PUBLIC INFORMATION)
Posting Number: 25471
Division: Office of Emergency Management
Workdays & Hours: M-F 7:00am - 4:00pm*
* Subject to change
This is a Partially Grant Funded Position
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) seeks Emergency Management Program Manager (Public Information) with experience implementing successful crisis communication strategies that may include but is not limited to special projects, events, social media, marketing materials, and admin support. The main functions are media and press relations, emergency public information, internal communications, public relations, community relations, and marketing.
The ideal candidate must be an enthusiastic, creative self-starter who is proficient in writing and editing, have strong knowledge of AP style, communications planning and has proven experience with crisis communications and must meet deadlines. In addition, the successful candidate must be ready to work in a fast-paced environment, have attention to detail and a strong desire to produce above-average quality communications.
This position will:
- Develop, oversee, and maintain operational readiness for the department’s public information before, during, and after an emergency
- Design, implement, and evaluate proactive communication and outreach strategies to educate civic and community groups regarding emergency preparedness. This may include scheduling public speaking engagements or neighborhood meetings.
- Initiate, coordinate, and lead public information and joint the information center (when applicable) during emergency situations and response activities to ensure accurate, timely and consistent information is being provided to key officials, media, and social media.
- Advise and assist the key department officials with high level preparations and appearances before external audiences, such as committee hearings and meetings; media interviews; and, stakeholder engagements relative to department programs and policies.
- Performs other special projects as directed.
The selected candidate must be able to respond from residence to the Houston Emergency Operations Center within 60 minutes. Will serve as an on-call OEM Duty Officer assigned to a 24-hour shift on a rotating basis and perform assigned duties during Emergency Operations Center (EOC) activations. The selected candidate must be willing and available to work all shifts, including rotation, weekends and holidays. This position also requires passing a criminal background check, and obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking standing, etc. This position will involve being available by pager and cellular phone. Work consists of standard procedures and tasks where analytic ability is required in following guidelines, policies and precedents.