Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The COIT Director of Academic Product Management works backwards from the customer and brings our COIT’s educational products to life. He or she delivers business value by ensuring the right product get built through a deep understanding of the users and the problems the product solves for them.
The Director works collaboratively with COIT Administrative Directors, Associate Deans, Program Chairs, WGU Professional Learning, Regional V.P.s, and other service and support partners to create programmatic opportunities. The Director will leverage his or her extensive technology background and national relationships to define the products, market, support needs, and financial investments for a portfolio of educational products. He or she will continue in that vein, driving the execution of product development, launch, and feedback throughout the customer/partner ecosystem.
In addition to the primary position responsibilities, the Director participates in the development of the long-term vision and strategy of the college and works closely with both internal and external partners and constituents to further the aims and reputation of the college and university. The Director advises on and executes against a program vision, strategy, key performance indicators, and goals as determined by the Academic Vice President to achieve the long-term college vision and goals.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Ability to organize and coordinate college activities and results across cross-functional teams
- Understand and execute product strategy from analyzing product opportunities to bringing products to markets.
- Manage the partner ecosystem and associated communication strategies
- Ability to balance resource utilization and return on investment on research-backed opportunities
- Effectively work in a highly matrixed and remote organization
- Building relationships and influence at all levels, both internally and externally
- Change agent in a rapidly changing environment
- Proven ability to analyze data to identify trends and drive innovation
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Problem Solving Skills: Investigates appropriate resources and involves partners when appropriate; future oriented; assesses what will help/hinder achieving goals; focuses on what is important.
- Interpersonal Skills: Deals with others in a considerate, respectful, and unbiased manner; approaches conflict proactively; solicits and shares feedback openly; listens with empathy and maintains composure.
- Accuracy: Draws on factual information garnered from careful cultivation of a broad knowledge of WGU’s goals and processes; investigates beyond assumptions.
- Adaptability: Course corrects behaviors and communication style to meet the needs of a wide range of situations; tackles obstacles appropriately; is comfortable with ambiguity.
- Reliability: Accountable to others; does what it takes to get the job done; actions are consistent with words; follows through on commitments; exhibits exceptional integrity.
- Attitude: Displays commitment to the organization and to personal growth; self-motivated and able to motivate and inspire others; asserts self appropriately to champion ideas; tells the truth in a direct and constructive manner.
- Initiative: Self-directs with a strong bias for action; leads the way in improvement of performance or processes; displays keen interest in students and organization.
- Collaborate with academic and operational leadership, Regional Vice Presidents and Strategic Partnership Managers in identifying program opportunities that offer value to corporate learners in current and emerging markets.
- Master’s degree in Information Technology or related technical discipline.
- Ten or more years of senior management experience in market analysis and product development, and management
- Five years of experience working across multiple levels and departments of complex organizations
- Background in educational leadership that includes academic product ownership
- Prior experience in continuing and professional, development or marketing of certifications or industry-based professional development programs at scale.
- Prior experience in a non-profit educational start-up environment preferred.
- Strong motivation to have significant impact on student education