Linde is a leading global industrial gases and engineering company with 2020 sales of $27 billion. We live our mission of making our world more productive every day by providing high-quality solutions, technologies and services which are making our customers more successful and helping to sustain and protect our planet.
The company serves a variety of end markets including aerospace, chemicals, food and beverage, electronics, energy, healthcare, manufacturing and primary metals. Linde's industrial gases are used in countless applications, from life-saving oxygen for hospitals to high-purity & specialty gases for electronics manufacturing, hydrogen for clean fuels and much more. Linde also delivers state-of-the-art gas processing solutions to support customer expansion, efficiency improvements and emissions reductions.
For more information about the company and its products and services, please visit www.linde.com.
*Relocation Will Be Offered If the Selected Candidate Meets the IRS Distance Requirements.
JOB PURPOSE : The Director of Business Development Technology is a senior level role responsible for the underlying technical solution supporting all large and/or complex capital projects in the Americas region. In addition, this individual is responsible for the work product of a team of experienced business development technologists.
SCOPE : The position will directly manage five senior business development technologists who will in turn work closely with sales and commercial business development towards winning new business for the Americas region. This is a leadership position within the organization which will have direct influence over the strategic focus in terms of technology selection, contracting strategy, and project development within the Americas.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS : The position reports to the Vice President of the Americas Large Projects Business Development organization.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Lead a team comprised of senior Business Development technologists in the development of cost competitive proposals for large and/or complex capital projects in the Americas region.
- Analyze or oversee the analysis of options for the purification, separation, production, or decarbonization of hydrogen/syngas and atmospheric gases plant performance metrics including efficiency, recovery, total installed cost, and utility requirements.
- Support sales opportunities by pre-screening various process concepts to develop an optimal solution within the constraints of an opportunity. Provide customer technical selling support for early-stage opportunities.
- Responsible for the interfaces between Business Development and Engineering as well as Research & Development. Develop constructive relationships with Linde Engineering and 3rd party technology providers. Understand the trade-offs between various technology offerings and project execution approaches.
- Responsible for interfacing with Research and Development to provide business, technical, and prioritization support. Provide input into ideation efforts, demonstration testing opportunities, and key technology development needs to support business development efforts.
- Responsible for the scope definition used for proposal development and coordinating proposal development efforts between engineering, sales, and operations organizations. Ensure total cost of ownership is fully considered for early-stage decisions impacting process and equipment design. Solicit feedback and input from Operations towards this end.
- Establish relationships with key technology suppliers and vendors in support of business development objectives including technical offering and equipment sourcing. Lead or provide oversight of technology evaluation/assessment of emerging technologies and competitive intelligence efforts.
- Review and provide input for key supplier and customer agreements including product pricing structures, performance guarantees, execution schedules as well as feedstock and product quality requirements.
- Plant selection and economic analysis for all sale of gas hydrogen and syngas offerings (small and large) including steam reformer, electrolysis, and related technologies.
- Lead or participate in meetings with customers and suppliers to present and discuss concepts.
- Provide stewardship and market insight for technologies used within Linde and industry knowledge of supplier, customer, and competitor processes.
- Travel domestically and internationally as needed to support projects and opportunities (up to 25% of time)