Who you are…
The Development Associate is a hands-on, curious, team-oriented, early-career real estate professional who has a theoretical understanding of the full range of commercial office, mixed-use, and/or multifamily activities.
What you’ll do...
- Represent Skanska and act as a good example, both internally and externally, in accordance with the values, ethical guidelines, and management systems of the organization.
- Work within a team to realize the development vision established for the project.
- Provide support:
- In the coordination of individual multi-discipline projects in a broad range of activities from acquisition to the fulfilment of project execution, through the disposition of the asset.
- To projects and the local office by acquiring, analyzing, developing, and presenting extensive market research.
- To a project team in coordination with external parties including consultants, civic and governmental authorities, and public stakeholders.
- Work under the leadership of a Manager, Sr. Manager or Director in a project team from conceptual design through project execution including:
- Financial analysis related to leasing, acquisition, and divestment.
- Establishment and management of consultant contracts, and management/coordination of construction general contractor.
- Creation and regular reporting of project budget and cost projections.
- Assist in the marketing & leasing efforts associated with the project, including pitches, presentations, tenant tours, lease execution and administration, and tenant administration, etc.
- Work collaboratively and transparently with Skanska USA Building as a construction partner.
Your characteristics include...
- Creative, curious, and quick to adapt with strong project management skills
- Self-starter, who is passionate about real estate development
- An authentic appreciation for and alignment with Skansksa’s Purpose and Values, including honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- Respect and encouragement of viewpoints of those from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, and lifestyles to build collaborative relationships and communicate effectively
- Demonstrated digital fluency, showing the ability to maximize new and emerging technologies in order to work, learn and live in a digital society
- Highly organized and pro-active with the ability to fulfill commitments
- Ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships to work effectively with others in a team setting
- Emerging leadership qualities and skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and outstanding written & oral communication skills
- A willingness to attend public hearings, meetings and social events outside of normal business hours
- Skilled in financial underwriting of real estate assets and development projects.
Qualifications we seek...
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2 -5 + years experience within the real estate development or a related industry
- Financial and analytical acumen with Microsoft Excel and Argus
- Ability to read and comprehend proposals, architectural concepts and drawings, contracts, consultant proposals/agreements, and government regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to present information and respond to questions/inquiries from senior staff, peers, business associates, and the general public
- Theoretical background with experience in some parts of the commercial investment and development process, such as:
- Land acquisition and sourcing
- Feasibility studies
- Financial analysis and budgeting
- Entitlements and zoning
- Project valuation and finance
- Architectural design and construction management
- Leasing, marketing, and public relations
- Basic knowledge of cost control processes, real estate funding and project reporting
- Sustainable building concepts
Bachelor's Degree from four-year college or university minimum, MBA or Master’s Degree in related fields preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person assigned to this job description. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Who is Skanska?
Skanska is a 130+ year-old global real estate development and construction company founded in Stockholm, Sweden. Our company has prospered by remaining true to its core values: Care for Life, Act Ethically and Transparently, Be Better Together, and Commitment to Customers.
As a listed company, and recognized as being one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, generating value for shareholders is Skanska's aim. While creating value we also want to build for a better society. That is our Purpose. Our values are expected behaviors, anchored in our beliefs and priorities. They support our Purpose and guide us in our actions.
Skanska operates in 11 countries and has three business streams: Construction, Commercial Development, and Residential Development. Our integrated platform, strong balance sheet, and ability to draw upon the resources of a global company allow us to pursue and deliver some of the world’s most innovative, unique and complex projects.
About our Commercial Development team...
Skanska develops high-quality, innovative, and sustainable real estate projects, which aim to achieve a minimum of LEED Gold certification. We focus on the development of Class-A and multi-family, transit-oriented developments located in select core urban markets. Our goal is to create compelling environments that enable occupants to thrive. We work with designers that understand our vision and commitment to developing properties that connect to the community and focus on the occupant. We leverage our experience to create emerging sustainable design solutions that enhance the tenant experience and support the environment.
Our unique property development platform is predicated on our self-financing business model. This provides our local development teams the freedom to be thoughtful and to experiment with innovative approaches and technologies. It also allows us to be flexible and move quickly. Furthermore, we have the distinct advantage of partnering with our world-class construction teams to build and execute our development projects.
From project conception through construction completion, we work collaboratively with our construction group to deliver successful projects.