Applications Accepted From: All Persons Interested
Division: Customer Experience
Workdays & Hours: 8:00 am - 8:15 pm /Rotating Shift, work one evening a week and every other weekend * *Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Public Library (HPL) is seeking energetic, flexible, team-oriented people with a passion for customer service to work as Customer Service Clerks (Youth or Adult Services) in our Neighborhood Libraries and Central Library. HPL serves a diverse population of 2.3 million citizens through a network of 37 Neighborhood Libraries across the Houston area, a Central Library, and three Special Collections Libraries.
Successful candidates will communicate effectively, provide exceptional customer service at the customer service desk and via curbside services to find basic information and library material, assist customers with library services, policies, procedures, resources, basic technology, and computer usage, retrieve library materials and shelve returned materials, collect tines and fees, assist with programs and other library services, and enjoy interacting with people of all ages from diverse backgrounds. In addition to these duties, the following specialized tasks may be part of the daily work.
The Customer Service Clerk (Youth) will:
- Assist with innovative programming in the library for youth of all ages including story time, crafts, video gaming, STEM kits, and passive programming;
- Collaborate with local community groups, other libraries and city departments, as well as schools and day cares;
- Utilize general knowledge of literature and resources to promote many services like literacy and homework help resources such as Brainfuse and Learning Express Library;
- Enjoy working with youth and creating quality experiences for them and their families;
- Work one evening a week and every other weekend (Saturday and/or Sunday) 8:00 am - 8:15 pm / Rotating Shift.
The Customer Service Clerk (Adult Services) will:
Assist with programming in the library for all ages including open job labs, computer classes, out of school time; English classes (ESOL), Citizenship classes, and adult literacy classes
Collaborate with local community groups, other libraries, and city departments
Utilize general knowledge of library resources for adults to promote library resources such as international services and library technology
Work one evening a week and every other weekend (Saturday and/or Sunday) 8:00 am - 8:15 pm / Rotating Shift.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume when applying. For a location listing of our 37 Neighborhood Libraries and Central Library, please visit www.houstonlibrary.org/hpl-locations.
Position requires stooping and bending; lifting of library materials up to 20 pounds. Must be able to move freely throughout the library to file/retrieve library materials. Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing.