LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
The Counsel - Operations position will provide legal support to LyondellBasell's manufacturing, procurement and supply chain organizations in North America on operational issues including utilities, procurement, supply chain, real estate, and pipelines. This position reports to the Lead Counsel - Operations (Americas), and is located at our North American Headquarters in Downtown Houston.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Counsel clients on legal and regulatory issues pertaining to utilities, procurement, supply chain/logistics, real estate, and pipelines.
- Draft and negotiate contracts relating to utilities, procurement, supply chain, real estate, and pipelines such as:
- Utilities and industrial gas contracts including purchase agreements, supply agreements, services agreements, and ancillary related documents;
- Procurement contracts including services agreements and supply agreements for raw materials, technical services and materials, corporate services, and information technology;
- Supply chain agreements including rail and motor freight contracts, maritime-related contracts, and terminal storage agreements;
- Real estate acquisition and divestiture agreements, commercial leases, right-of-way, easement, and crossing agreements; and
- Common carrier pipeline contracts and counseling on pipeline-related regulatory matters.
- Conduct training on contracting practices and procedures, as well as company policies.
- Partner with clients to support business objectives in a manner consistent with applicable laws and in keeping with the company's accepted level of risk.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience practicing law in a medium to large law firm and/or in-house legal department preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with commercial transactions.
- Knowledge and experience with legal and regulatory standards applicable to at least one of the following areas: utilities, procurement, logistics, real estate, pipelines.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and oral and written communication skills.
- Negotiation, influencing and advocacy skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A commitment to excellence, teamwork, rigor, continuous improvement and engagement.
- Member in good standing with a state bar.
- Current admission or eligibility for admission to the Texas Bar.
- Experience in the chemical or petrochemical industries.
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston