This position is responsible for the daily operations associated with the METRO Police department’s dispatch section which is a 24/7 operation with various work shifts. Responsible for responding to calls for emergency and non-emergency assistance in dispatching law enforcement. Transmits and received coded and conventional messages, differentiates between routine, priority/non-priority and emergency messages and initiates or follows through as required. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Communication liaison for METRO Police Department’s dispatch section.
- Maintains communication between METRO Police Department, bus transportation, rail operations, transit authority, as well as public and other related law enforcement agencies.
- Operates through the assistance of a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, multi-telephone line system, Regional Information Management System (RIMS) Houston Police Department’s computer system and Harris County’s wireless data terminal system.
- Dispatch Police Officers to transit and non-transit related calls to responders as required by call type.
- Disseminates significant event alert notifications.
- Verifies outstanding warrants through the TCIC/NCIC system, teletype and telephone.
- Responsible for documenting and updating information on Police call for service slips, and as required, review officers’ radio transmissions with the playback program.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in efforts to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent. Additional related college courses desired.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum three (3) years of dispatch experience in a fast pace, high volume telephone or customer service environment. Emergency services dispatch experience preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Must obtain Texas Commission of Law Enforcement (TCOLE) licensure by completing Police Basic Telecommunications Course (#1013) and successfully complete a TCOLE/TXDPS “TCIC/NCIC Full Access User” course within one (1) year of hire date. Accurate typing skills 30-35 wpm is required. Other requirements include: The ability to develop and maintain cooperative and professional relationships with fellow employees; ability to use logic and reasoning to in approach to problems; ability to use judgment and decision-making skills to evaluate situations, establish priorities, and resolve matters; ability to think quickly; ability actively listen and communicate effectively through clear speech and hearing; ability to follow instructions; ability to write clearly and spell correctly; ability to establish priorities and pass on information as needed and the ability to multi-task with various computer applications and communications systems. Must pass pre-employment requirements.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.