At Houston Methodist, the Clinic Coordinator is a multifaceted clinic based role which, in conjunction, with management, organizes the daily activities of the clinic ensuring provider support, patient experience, advanced and complex clinic/administrative tasks, to support clinic flow. This position works to create the best possible working environment for patients, providers, staff, and management. The incumbent may also be required to perform scheduling activities (this might include appointments, procedures, and/or surgeries), ensure medical necessity compliance, and verify eligibility for care. Other duties for the Clinic Coordinator position include independently and expertly performing the duties and responsibilities of preceptor and clinical resource to Medical Assistants, for training and orienting others as appropriate; organizing and directing all aspects of the daily clinic operations to support and maintain organizational and departmental policies and procedures. Additionally, the Clinic Coordinator will provide training and oversight in the pursuit of unparalled safety, quality, service, education, and innovation to our patients.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 25 %
* Coordinates patient flow, obtaining patient demographics as needed, preparing patient for provider/mid-level visit and provides back up to clinic staff. (EF)
* Organizes daily schedules and work activities; providing coverage to meet patient needs. (EF)
* Assists with triage, patient prescription, re-fills and referrals, and prescription education. Independently executes the duties and responsibilities of preceptor, serves as a clinical resource in the department, using advanced skills and competencies, guiding and mentoring colleagues though processes in order to provide optimal patient care. Provides structured feedback with examples. (EF)
* Works with clinical management to assess and determine process protocols for clinic and conducts meeting with clinic staff and Practice Manager. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
* Demonstrates engagement in planning, organizing, and directing all aspects of clinic operations. Collaborate with leadership, other clinics, and Medical Assistants to develop new processes and/or procedures for continued patient care. (EF)
* Provides quality oversight for documentation of vital signs, chief complaint(s), preforms medication(s) review, and discusses/reviews medical and social history (as appropriate). Documents, in patient's electronic medical record (EMR) care administered, all diagnostic measurements, treatments, and procedures in accordance with established policies. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25 %
* Interprets documents such as provider orders, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Follows-up with patient as appropriate to ensure compliance with recommendations, medications, lab/x-ray results, special visits, PCP visits, dieticians, diabetes educators, etc. Ensures patient utilization and activation of MyChart. (EF)
* Provides initial investigation and information for internal and external complaints to management. (EF)
* Provides care coordination with hospital, ED, consulting physicians and/or community resources whenever appropriate to include handling patient inquiries. (EF)
* Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction. (EF)
* Leads efforts, in collaboration with clinic management, to assure that Environment of Care rounds are performed monthly in the clinic setting. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
* Provides oversight of clinic resources to align with clinic budgetary goals and objectives; assists in long range planning of clinic needs. (EF)
* Arranges for pre-authorizations and pre-certifications of procedures as needed. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15 %
* Participates in curriculum development for Graduate Medical Assistant staff. Provides development and guidance for new clinical employees. (EF)
* Collaborates with clinic management on process improvement. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
* Five years as a Senior/Advanced Medical Assistant experience
* Two years demonstrated leadership experience (i.e., mentor, quality control, or clinical process improvement) preferably in health care required
* One year Training experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Medical Assistant Certification through an approved credentialing certification agency, i.e. American Association of Medical Assistant, American Medical Technologists, or Emergency Medical Technician
* American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) required
* Phlebotomy certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
* Must be EPIC proficient.
* Knowledge of medical practice and care of patients and ability to assist with examinations, diagnostic and treatment procedures, knowledge of medical equipment and instruments
* Skill in developing and maintaining clinical quality assurance to maintain accurate medical records
* Demonstrates a learning attitude toward solving problems, using good reasoning and judgment
* Provides safe patient-centered, compassionate and competent care
* Proficient in computer skills for documentation and work-related purposes
* Completes required continuous training and education, including department-specific requirements. Maintain current certifications
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, co-workers and the public
* Ability to work with peers in a team situation
* Possesses an understanding of the patient population as it relates to the clinical disease process
* Proficient in computer skills for documentation and work-related purpose
* Demonstrates advanced assessment competences appropriate for level of practice
Work AttireYes/NoUniformNoScrubsYesBusiness professionalNoOther (dept. approved)No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
* Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel withinYesHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outsideNoof Houston Metropolitan area
Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
As one of the nation's leading hospitals and academic medical centers, Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation's leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group employs over 800 physicians at more than 150 locations across Houston. Our specialists are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. The combination of clinical service, research and academics ensure patients have access to the latest treatments and technologies while providing the best comprehensive patient care.