LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.
The purpose of the Associate Director Employee Relations/Labor Relations role is to ensure that the treatment of employees is fair, respectful, and consistent with our practices, policies and applicable laws. The Associate Director Employee Relations/Labor Relations leads a global team responsible for strengthening the employer-employee relationship through identifying and resolving workplace issues, overseeing compliance with contracts negotiated with unions or other employee representative bodies, and designing and implementing employee relations programs, policies, and procedures. This role will have global responsibility for the Employee Relations/Labor Relations function.
Roles & Responsibilities
* Design and implement the company's employee relations programs, policies, and procedures
* Investigate, or direct and oversee the investigation of, highly sensitive HR matters, including conducting witness interviews; analyzing data from various internal systems; writing investigation reports; proposing remedial action based on any findings
* Lead and manage the global Employee Relations/Labor Relations team by providing day-to day guidance and development
* Develop and facilitate regularly scheduled and ad-hoc ER/LR training for Human Resources Business Partners, including investigation and positive employee relations training
* Collaborate with the HR learning team and Corporate Compliance to ensure appropriate training is being developed and delivered to managers
* Review and update existing HR and corporate policies; advise and prepare new HR and corporate policies
* Develop overall industrial labor relations strategy, including determining labor relations goals and action plans, bargaining procedures and strategies, and tracking and reporting of existing negotiated contracts
* Provide guidance and assist on labor relations issues such as negotiation of new contracts, disciplinary grievances, appeals, mediations, and arbitrations
* Analyze casework trends to produce strategic, proactive recommendations to HR and the company to proactively address and mitigate systemic issues
* Respond to requests from the Board of Directors related to Employee Relations and Labor Relations investigations and trends
* Ensure compliance with various reporting obligations, including Affirmative Action Plans and EEO-1 Reports in the U.S.
* Partner with the Labor & Employment legal team to analyze complex issues and make recommendations to leadership
* 15+ years of experience in Human Resources, with at least 10 years of progressively increased leadership responsibility and 5 years leading an Employee Relations or Labor Relations function.
* Proven successful leadership experience, leading a team of professionals on-site and remotely
* Demonstrated passion for employee relations matters, including investigations
* Solid understanding of U.S. federal and state employment and labor laws and principles
* Experience in conducting internal investigations and preparing comprehensive investigative reports
* Effective project and time management skills; ability to manage multiple complex projects concurrently
* Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communications, listening, presentation, group facilitation, influencing and negotiating
* Demonstrated skills in effective use of mediation and conflict resolution techniques, providing proactive and practical solutions and processes for influencing performance management.
* Skill in use of computerized systems for word processing, spreadsheet applications and databases to retrieve and analyze data and/or create reports
* Experience working in a multi-national company, managing in multicultural environments, and negotiating international labor agreements
* Experience navigating labor laws in countries outside the U.S.
* Familiarity with global employment laws and principles
* Strong preference for experience in oil & gas, petrochemical, or manufacturing companies
Required: Bachelor's Degree (or 4 year equivalent) in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Psychology, Business Administration, or related degree
Preferred: Advanced degree, such as a Master's Degree or Juris Doctorate, or other specialized training in labor/employee relations a significant plus
- Fluent in written and spoken English
CompetenciesBuilds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston