Responsible for safe, efficient and reliable bus operations by overseeing and monitoring Controllers, Service Supervisors, maintenance personnel, schedule revenue service and special events. Responsible for providing assistance to the Director, Transportation Service Operations. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Provides primary managerial direction and performs personnel administrative functions of direct report staff (e.g. training, supervising, work assignments, timesheets, performance evaluations, etc.) for maintaining necessary staffing, enhancing productivity of staff and ensuring necessary department outcomes are achieved.
- Monitors the Integrated Vehicle Operations Management System (IVOMS) and responds accordingly to any anomalies, abnormalities, and/or information received.
- Directs and implements the communication activities between METRO’s emergency/management teams, external emergency response agencies, and managerial staff.
- Ensures the timely updating of events and apprises management of all actions taken to restore transit services following interruptions of normal bus service.
- Monitors the dispatching of Service Supervisors, maintenance crews, and emergency response crews by Dispatchers/Controllers for efficiencies and timeliness.
- Informs the Director, Transportation Service Operations on service issues that affect service reliability, safety, scheduling improvement and adjustment, accidents/incidents, etc.
- Provides investigative results of various events to senior level management and others, as required.
- Works to develop and maintain a professional work environment throughout Bus Control.
- Coordinates with IT, maintenance, and technological staff to ensure all communications systems operate properly.
- Keeps abreast of pertinent federal regulations, Occupational Health and Safety Act, etc. and ensures all provisions are satisfied and applied fairly and consistently.
- Prepares daily service reports and logs and distributes as required.
- Must be available on a 24/7 basis to respond to emergency situations as the Emergency Response Coordinator.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field is preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum seven (7) years transit, transportation or incident management experience. Minimum three (3) years supervisory experience. Control room dispatching and/or Service Supervisor experience is preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Comprehensive knowledge of transportation business practices and procedures with a good working knowledge of technical
and operational issues related to service delivery. Ability to coordinate incident management and service restoration through the Control Center staff. Excellent communications (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills. Strong analytical,organization and problem-solving skills. Proficient in Microsoft office suite.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.