Provide adult students with enrichment instruction in the domain of ESL and/or HSE instruction through remote and distance learning platforms. Maintain an online classroom environment that is conducive to learning. Administer pre/post-test examinations and class surveys for each topic of instruction. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully and financially in society. Full-time, AmeriCorps volunteer position, with BakerRipley mileage stipend. The AmeriCorps Instructor must be able to work flexible hours including evening and weekends. Occasional travelling to BakerRipley campuses might be required. The instructor must have access to Internet, have experience with online conference formats and have a consistent quiet work space. The concepts of continuous quality improvement and student persistence will guide the AmeriCorps Instructor’s daily work
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, topics, assignments, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Set up a training session with students before the first day of class using the delivery technology and provide students with contact information on who to contact regarding technical issues.
- Set up clear class guidelines and hold students accountable for following the guidelines.
- Measure, document, and maintain records of student attendance, maintain accurate test scores, and ensure appropriate retention rate for all remote and distance learning classes. Report program data both internally and externally.
- Maintain regular communication with all students assigned through phone calls, emails & text messages.
- Instruct and monitor students' performance in order to make suggestions for improvement, and to ensure that students satisfy course objectives.
- Research best practices and employ them in lesson planning for distance learning classes, incorporating innovative ways to teach the material in a blended program.
- Assist with the recruitment, outreach, and registration and orientation process of all adult education students.
- Assist Adult Education Division in day-to-day operations and explore ways to integrate distance learning with other Adult Education programs and initiatives.
- Attend trainings and professional development sessions as instructed by the Program Manager.
- Available to work flexible hours, including evenings and Saturdays.
- Be able to take initiative and work independently, passionate about education and community service.
- Must have reliable internet access and a quiet designated place to work from. Proactive and regular communication during teleworking is expected at all times.
- Must possess reliable transportation to travel between BakerRipley community centers. Mileage stipend provided.
- Communicate with all BakerRipley staff, students and external partners in a professional, friendly and respectful manner.
- Commit to modeling agency core values with all members of the team including volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
* This position is a volunteer service position through AmeriCorps. The participant will receive a living wage as well as a stipend at the end of the 1 year service term by AmeriCorps.*
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)