APPLICATION ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
DIVISION/ SECTION: DIRECTORS OFFICE/ ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT
WORKDAYS & HOURS: MONDAY - FRIDAY, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, occasional weekend,
***subject to change***
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
This position reports directly to the Administrative Supervisor in the Solid Waste Management Department (SWMD). The Individual that is selected to assume this role will act as a liaison between all City Departments, City Officials, Public Interest Groups, and the City of Houston Community. Is expected to handle general matters that need a decision before action can be taken. Acts as a liaison to the Mayor’s office, Council Member offices, City’s Customer Support line, 3-1-1 and represents the Solid Waste Department as needed. Will be responsible for establishing and maintaining an open line of communication with the City of Houston Citizens through email and telephone calls. Will have internal contact with SWM leadership, (Director, Deputy Directors, Deputy Assistant Directors, Division Managers and CM liaisons) for escalations of complaints and resolutions.
This role will have external contact with the Citizens regarding inquiries and complaints from COH Departments such as HPD and COH Neighborhoods concerning issues such as illegal dumping, community leaders, SWM waste services, schedules, and other government agencies within Harris County concerning inquiries and/or HHW locations. Is expected to implement data on reports and build partners with all four Solid Waste Management Service Centers for results. Compiles information, answers inquiries and provides departmental information during disasters such as driver shortages and equipment issues that would cause delayed services and is expected to communicate accurate schedules to the Citizen. Manages Citizens' expectations to deliver on-time services and request real-time resolutions as well as any other duties as assigned.
Essential job duties and responsibilities for the (Administrative Specialist) include but not limited to:
- Heavy usage of the CRIS system.
- Extracts data from the 311 system for escalated service requests, researches data, and analyzes the problem.
- Provides guidance to Solid Waste Management Department (SWMD) staff in various activities necessary to attain operational goals.
- Responds to written and telephone inquiries or requests and complaints from the general public.
- Receives the Mayor’s weekly speaker list and generates an inter-office memorandum for the Mayor’s folder when a Citizen signs up to speak to Council.
- Supports the operations team with executing operational strategies to support the Citizens of Houston.
- Participates in special projects as assigned.
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.