APPLICATION ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
DIVISION/ SECTION: DIRECTOR OFFICE/ ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT
WORKDAYS & HOURS: MONDAY - FRIDAY, 8:00AM to 5:00PM, possible weekend and holidays ***subject to change***
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The individual that assumes this role will perform various professional administrative functions in the safety division of the Solid Waste Management Department. This position is an essential function that also supports both the Deputy Assistant Directors (D.A.D) and the SWMD Supervisors. This role will request and review all Motor Vehicle Records for the department to ensure that specified employees operating a City of Houston vehicle are in compliance with the City of Houston’s driving policy. Responsible for compiling data on department accidents and injuries for monthly safety report. Schedules and coordinates bi-weekly list for Defensive Driving classes and completes Defensive Driving Certificates. Handles claims submitted by citizens; investigates and documents findings of the incident to determine if a violation has occurred. Also, handles confidential information that has been obtained from the Texas Department of Public Safety to maintain driver compliance. Responsible for requesting estimates from the vendor for accidents daily and supports the safety team with administrative requests. Requests and handles all police reports from Houston Police Department (HPD) for driver accidents. Submit random check reports to Safety Reps on drivers' safety protocol and vehicle inspection via email as well as any other duties assigned.
Essential job duties and responsibilities for the (Administrative Specialist-Safety) includes but not limited to:
- Establishes, maintains, and updates files such as (logging data from defensive driving reports, driver accidents and injuries, equipment damage, facility inspections and citations).
- Composes correspondence for compliance/non-compliance information as well as warnings and/or reinstatement correspondence.
- Coordinates department accident review hearings and panel members notification; provides packages for each panel member review.
- Prepares all necessary forms for hearings and drafts correspondences in conjunction with Panel’s Determination.
- Logs and tracks safety data and compiles a monthly safety report to be submitted to Safety Manager for review.
- Handles telephone and email inquiries from Legal Department and/or other entitles.
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.