Applications accepted from: All Applicants Interested
Job Classification: Administrative Specialist
Department: Department of Neighborhoods
Division: Director's Office
Reporting Location: 901 Bagby
Workdays & Hours: M–F, 8:00AM – 5:00PM*
*Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Department of Neighborhoods (DON) is dedicated to improving quality of life in Houston neighborhoods through the delivery of services, innovative programs and strong community partnerships. Our services include inspections and code enforcement to reduce blight and make neighborhoods cleaner and safer. We assist citizens to help resolve neighborhood concerns and connect them to city services and community resources. We reach out to youth through programs designed to prevent juvenile delinquency and gang involvement, and activities that promote education, civic leadership and public service. We engage citizens in volunteer activities addressing a wide range of community needs and interests. The department also reaches out to our diverse immigrant and refugee communities to ensure their successful integration into the economic, social and cultural fabric of Houston.
To achieve this vision, DON is seeking an Administrative Specialist to join its team. In this position, you will perform administrative support functions for the Department Director as outlined below.
Additional duties may include:
- Maintains executive's appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Conserves executive's time by reading, researching, and routing correspondence; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications.
- Welcomes guests and customers by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Protects operations by maintaining and keeping confidential information confidential.
- Interprets and implements basic rules, regulations, policies and procedures in day-to-day department operations.
- Drafts correspondence, reports and other documents; proofs/edits documents for accuracy, content and format.
- Prepares periodic and special reports; compiles information and maintains department reference information.
- Investigates problems/potential problems by means of written and verbal communications; prepares findings and recommends solutions.
- Assists in the coordination of department staff services, such as personnel, purchasing, storekeeping, public relations and office management.
- Represents the department head of staff meetings and some conferences; acts as liaison to designated private agencies and organizations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results and additional duties as needed.
The position is physically comfortable; Requires stooping or bending. Occasional lifting, such as three or four reams of paper or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required.